Things That Go 'Bump'

Soda
(F/n) had reminded me that Roger, James, Thomas, and David were leaving tomorrow, so I decided to stop by and say goodbye. I would have been there when they actually left, since I had befriended them-- especially Roger-- the past few days, but I had to work a full shift at the station, so they'd be gone when I got off.
So Ponyboy and I set off for (F/n)'s house. He told me he had nothing better to do, since Johnny was off doing something. It was rare that the two weren't together. I heard he had taken a pretty bad beating the night before, so he just wanted some time to himself, but Ponyboy wouldn't tell me much more than that.
I always pity Johnnycake for that. Not that he gets hit at home, though I do feel badly about that. I pity him because he hasn't let it affect him like Dally has. I always think, if Johnny had hardened up from the abuse like Dally, he would be able to stand up for himself a bit more. He's a good kid. Johnny's special because he's soft and kind towards others, but for his own sake I wish he'd toughen up a little bit.
Pony begs to differ. He thinks that the beatings have shaped Johnny to be a soft spot in our gang. Like an anchor. Without his careful mindset, Pony thinks we would get into a heck of a lot more trouble. Johnnycake, he doesn't really like breaking the law. An occasional cigarette pack theft here and there, but that's about it-- except for the whole Bob-And-Windrixville debacle (since he's a minor, and it was proven as self defense, Johnny wasn't charged for killing him).
"Hey, Sodapop, how're you and (F/n)? Are you two dating yet?"
"What do you mean by 'yet'?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow as we crossed the street.
"Well, since you brought her home that first night-- y'know, when we were at the drive-in-- Steve, Johnny, Dally, and I all made bets on how long it'd take for you to get together. The range I bet, 4-5 weeks, ends tomorrow. I don't wanna lost twenty bucks."
"Well, it looks like you're 'bout to gain sixty."
He stopped, turning me to face him. "What? When?"
Grinning, I replied, "Ten days ago."
"Oh, you've got to be kiddin' me! You gotta tell them so I can get my money!"
"'Congratulations, Soda!'" I chided. "'Oh, thank you, Ponyboy.' 'You're the coolest, awesomest brother ever!'"
"Oh, shut up, you."
We both started laughing, continuing down the street. We eventually reached the other side of town, and I made sure I had my hand on my switch, which was sitting inside my pocket. I didn't want to hurt someone if we got jumped, but I always have to be prepared.
I opened the door when we reached (F/n)'s house. Pony kicked off his shoes, and I flicked on the kitchen light. Yesterday, (F/n) told me to wait if she or the guys weren't back, so I told Ponyboy to sit down.
And then I heard a bump from upstairs.
Ponyboy gave me a confused look, and I nodded. I headed upstairs, the floorboards creaking underneath my feet. The air smelled like peppermint and (F/n)'s perfume. I looked at the pictures on the walls, most being old family photos and vacation pictures. Looking towards (F/n)'s door, I rested a hand on the knob. I heard another bump.
I turned around, looking at the guest bedroom door. I turned the knob and pushed open the door-- just a crack. A pink shirt and a purple bra with pink polkadots lied sloppily on the ground. I pushed the door open just a bit more. A larger black shirt and a pair of blue boxers. I choked slightly, listening to some moaning and a bed squeaking.
I didn't need to open the door all the way to know what was happening. I instead slammed it shut and stomped downstairs. My vision was blurring and my eyes were hot. I felt this knot being tied in my stomach like a rope, and I wanted to toss up my lunch. Scalding hot tears dripped down my face as I pulled on my shoes.
"Soda, what are you--"
I whimpered, "C'mon, Ponyboy, we're leaving."

Ponyboy
I didn't like that look on his face.
"C'mon, Ponyboy, we're leaving." He opened the door, and I nodded confusingly. I followed him out, being sure to lock the door behind us.
He shoved his hands in his pockets and fast-walked down the road. I jogged behind him to catch up. He sniffled, rubbing his nose, and began mumbling to himself. Soda did this all the way to the park, where we eventually fell down into the warm, damp grass. No one was around, I noticed as I looked towards him.
"Why am I never good enough?" he asked quietly, shakily. "I wasn't good enough for Sandy, and I'm not good enough for her."
"What're you talking about? What happened, Soda?"
"I walked up to the guest room and I... I saw a goddamn shirt on the floor. And I heard her... cryin' for him. I wanted to be him, I wanted to be there so bad. He didn't deserve her, I did."
Ah, I see. I clicked my tongue. (F/n) had been cheating. "Clearly, she doesn't deserve you. You're a great guy, a wholesome, sweet guy. You deserve a girl that won't hurt you like that, not the other way around."
"If that's so then why do I only seem to attract the undeserving ones?"
I stayed silent. I didn't know what to say to him. It was such a shame. I liked (F/n), I thought she was a good broad. She didn't smoke, she was kind and sweet to me and Johnny, she managed to put up with Dally's stupid flirting and Steve's crass jokes. I thought she was a good, genuine girl. And I wanted her to be with Soda. But now, I didn't know. I didn't really understand why she would do this.
"What am I doing wrong?" he whispered.
"I don't know, Soda. I don't know."