Chapter 42

"Do you remember that one time when Dad got called into work and we had to cancel our camping trip?"

"Oh my gosh. Yes!"

"We were so mad that it got cancelled, so we set the tent up in the backyard and camped out for the weekend."

"Excuse you, Kariann and I set up the tent while you were inside trying to find a way to bring your tv outside. Kris was getting snacks and caught you trying to carry it down the stairs."

Taylor chuckles, leaning into the warmth of her girlfriend's side as she sips on her drink. Kurt and Tracy had went up to bed a little while ago, so Karlie, Taylor, the twins, and Kristine decided to sit out back on the patio; sharing stories and taking pictures with Karlie's new polaroid camera. The model had thrown some logs into the fire pit, making a nice little fire to help keep them warm, while Kristine and Taylor were inside mixing drinks.

"Okay, sorry Karlie. Not all of us are boring enough to just sit outside with nothing to do. My phone didn't even have a data plan back then so there was literally nothing to do."

Kariann rolls her eyes at her twin. "You make it sound like we were in the middle of nowhere. The house was less than 20 feet away. You would have been just fine."

Karlie just sighs; all too familiar with her sisters bickering. She takes another swig of her beer and squeezes the songwriter's side, getting Taylor's attention. The model smiles at the easy grin on her girlfriend's lips. "You still doing okay?" She asks quietly.

"Mhmm." The songwriter hums. "I'm good."

"Do you want another drink?"

Taylor looks at her girlfriend, gasping in surprise. "Are you trying to get me drunk?" She laughs; a lazy smile still pulling at her lips.

Karlie hides her uncontrolable smile by pressing a kiss to the blonde's temple, loving how relaxed and at ease her girlfriend was right now. Neither of them were even buzzed, so the model knew it wasn't from the alcohol. Everything just felt really great in the moment. Everyone seemed to love Taylor. The girl got along well with her sisters, and her parents both approved.

Maybe it was the warmth of the fire, or the warmth in her girlfriend's smile. Maybe it was the culmination of a perfect birthday, or the realization that this could be their new normal. Maybe it was the bright stars in the sky, or maybe it was really the bright blue eyes watching her curiously. Whatever it was, Karlie had never felt more at home in her life.

"Oh my god. You two seriously could not be more gross with the hearteyes if you tried. I swear to god, every time I think you can't be any more disgustingly cute you have to prove me wrong."

Karlie snaps her head, levelling a glare at her sister. "And you wonder why we won't let you drink." Kristine laughs.

"Im just saying." Kimby huffs. "Mom and Dad went to bed. We're at home, so I'm not driving anywhere. I dont see what the big deal is."

"The big deal is you're not 21."

"Oh please. Like you waited until you were 21 to drink." Kimby shoots back.

The model blushes, knowing she didn't. Her modeling career allowed her to travel and got her access to some pretty wild parties. "Well, to be fair, the drinking age in Europe isn't the same as it is here."

"That's no excuse! You still drank when you were my age so why does it matter if I do?"

"I waited until I was 21 to drink." Taylor chimes in. Karlie tilts her head, eyeing her girlfriend. "You did?"

"Mmhmm." The songwriter hums. "I mean, I think my mom let me have like, a sip of wine at Thanksgiving once or twice. But I never actually drank a full drink or anything until I turned 21."