Chapter 1

DOPPLER'S POV:

Looking up from my studies, sitting in the large living room, (y/n) sighed and stared out the window. She looked eager to go outside, but she can't. It's too dangerous..

She's a young girl, age 17, with odd changeable eyes. Her form is small and slender, and her hair is always an untidy mop of brown. When she's her happy self, she creates flowers within her locks.

Right now, I see no blooms.. She must be upset over something.

(y/n) is easily approachable, and LOVES helping me and my wife out with the kids. She's adaptable to any surrounding, but there were two problems... One, she has no friends. I mean, NO FRIENDS. And two, she has never step foot outside. I won't let her, I know the dangers of the outside world, and she doesn't need to know. All the times that my close friends come over, she would go to her room and stay there until they were gone. I mean I could trust my friends....but it's safer for her to stay low.

There's a reason behind this..and it's because of me. I took her in years ago.. I don't want her to feel companionless, but I think that it's the best thing to do. Besides... I couldn't keep her a secret forever, even if I really wanted to.

I got up from my desk by the fireplace, and walked over to her. I laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "What are you thinking about (n/n)?"

Her dark blue eyes met my brown ones with sadness. "Can I go outside?"

I stared at her eyes, watching them change into a darker blue. I looked away and sighed, slowly shaking my head, being careful not to swing my glasses off my face. "You already knew the answer to that. You know why you're not allowed to."

(Y/n) crossed her arms. Her eyes started to change red. She glanced at the window. "Because..." she made quotations with her fingers. "'I am different from everyone else'...You can't keep me inside forever."

I tried to move her so she was facing me. "Now (y/n)..."

She jerked away from my grasp and glared up at me with her scarlet eyes. "No I'm serious. I'm turning 18 in a few hours, and I'll make my OWN decisions. I haven't been outside, you create this artificial vitamin D for me and it's...it's not enough! I need to see more!"

"And you will see more..." I tried to calm her down. "...but we- I mean I need a little more time to-"

"When? When will I see more? When you've passed?"

"No but-"

"And another thing! I haven't met people like you Dad, how am I supposed to know what the world is like if I haven't even met a single creature?"

I avoided her eye contact.

"....Dad.." she was quieter this time. I looked up, seeing her eyes change from red to blue and back to red. I gulped.

She stepped away from me, getting closer to the stairs. "I love you to death, but I don't think I belong here. I mean, I don't even look like you! Or Mum.."

Before I could produce another word, (y/n) stormed off upstairs, leaving me devastated. I turned away from the window and walked back to my desk, feeling defeated. I sat down and slid off my glasses, rubbing my eyes. "What am I going to do with her?" I sighed heavily and stared at where (y/n) was moments ago, instead of going back to my studies.

My wife, Amelia, walked up to me with a wooden spoon and an apron. Looks like she's been in the kitchen. Oh I hope she's making that gumbo again.

"Honey, what's wrong? Where's (n/n)?" Amelia asked, looking around. "I could've sworn I heard her."

I pointed to the direction where (y/n) ran off to. "Sweetheart, do you think I'm the right father for her?" I slowly put my hand down against my desk.

Amelia noticed my frustration and knelt down beside the chair. "Of course you are! Even though (y/n) is not ours, I believe that you're the right father for her. We don't know who or where her family is, but that's what we've been working on, right? You and I are trying to locate her birth parents, as a gift to her from us." I nodded slowly as she continued.

"You are the perfect father and husband for this family and me. (Y/n) will soon be an adult, so maybe she's just stressed about that, honey."

I sighed, not believing her, and picked up a coin from Treasure Planet and spun it on my desk. I sadly watched it, it spun like a top.

Amelia grabbed my chin and turned my head, making me look her in the eyes. "How about this: go visit Sarah and Jim. You haven't seen them since the party. It's been what...5 years?"

"...has it been that long? Goodness me..!"

"Then it's a perfect time for you and Sarah to catch up on things. Go, love, I'll watch over Matey, Jib, Sunny, and Tillie." She stands up and kisses me on the forehead.

I nodded and slowly got up from my seat, then kissed my wife lovingly on the forehead. "Let me say goodb-"

"Then they would want to come with you, no no just go ahead and go. I love you." She wrapped my scarf around my neck and kissed me. I smiled softly and kissed her back then left the house in a hurry, so the kids wouldn't see me.

Tucking my coat closer to my body, I walked over to the stables to Delilah. "Hey girl...let's go see an old friend, eh?"

She gurgled in excitement, ready for any adventure. I saddled her up and sat down in the carriage. As Delilah waddled out of the stables, I tied the hood of the carriage so it wouldn't be blown away from the wintery winds. I grabbed the reins and gently tugged. Delilah moves forwards, towards the new and improved Benbow Inn.

I sure do hope Sarah can help me out with my frustrations...we've been friends for a LONG time, I'm sure she will help. Besides, she has a young adult as well. She knows how to take care of a teen more than I do. Plus I've always been there for her when she needed help with Jim.. Goodness me, Sarah, please have the answers!