fourteen

I'd held the phone in my hands almost the whole entire car ride. I didn't know what to do. 'Send him a message!', I heard a voice say. 'Where did that come from?', I thought to myself. 'You're the voice, you just speak against your feelings, you're foolish', the voice was indeed in my head. Was I getting crazy? I shook my head. "Is there anything?", I heard Harper ask from the other side of the car. I looked at her and shook my head again. "No, just a discussion with myself", I shrugged my shoulders and saw that Chris was pulling up in our neighbourhood. "Et voilà", I grinned and got out. It'd become really cold. I shuddered and put two arms around me to keep me warm while I followed Christian and Harper to the front door. Chris opened the door. "Mom, isn't  home yet, is she?", Christian shook his head and let out a sigh. I kicked off my shoes and made my way to the stairs. "Aren't you gonna be nice and just sit together?", I heard Harper say halfway through. I rolled my eyes and turned around. "Since when do you deal with people in this house? Normally you're the one who always escapes", Harper looked at Christian. I followed her look. Christian stood between us again, for the umpteenth time. He always had to keep order and avoid quarrels. This time he had a empty look in his eyes. "Everything okay, Chris?", I walked over to him and saw that he stepped back. Why is he doing that? "No, no and no, I'm just finished with your bickering, I'm going to call Mom", he began and he looked desperately ahead. "And what are you going to do? Do it sensitively and make sure she finds you the favorite again?", I gave Harper a warning look. "I'm going to ask if I can live with Dad again, I'm all done with your girls fuss and quarrels, I don't want to be the referee the whole time", he looked at his phone and I saw a tear gently streaming down his cheek. I felt guilty. I sighed and looked at Harper, who was still posing like a bitch. I turned around and ran up the stairs. Surprisingly, nobody called me back.

-
My room was messy. I had to admit that. I've just been so stressed lately that I just didn't get the time to clean. I put my school bag down on my desk chair and made room on my bed to pop down there. I cuddled my favorite pillow and grabbed my phone to see if I'd missed some things. I realized that I still didn't have my own phone. I threw my head back and moaned. I really wanted my phone back. 'Send that damn message so you can get your phone back sooner', I suddenly heard in my head. It was true. I grabbed the phone from my nightstand and turned it on. I kept one finger on the touch screen so that I could take a look at the background. 'Damn, that boy is handsome', I agreed. It was true, he was handsome. I felt a strange feeling in my stomach. I knew I could never date him anyway. I hardly knew him. And I haven't really left a good impression. I opened the 'Messenger' app and saw some missed messages. I looked at the most recent one. A phone number. I always forgot my own number. I walked to my desk where I had a note with my numbers and passwords. I compared it with that of the recent post. It was my number. I clicked it and started typing. I'd already read the messages during class, but I couldn't respond, so I'd left it on 'Read'.
To Unknown: Uh, hey, I think we have indeed exchanged each other's phone XD.
To Unknown: Or, well, that's what it seems like
To Unknown: My name is Taylor Mohlstein, I'm a freshman, whoop whoop.
To Unknown: What if we meet soon to return the phones again?
To Unknown: And is it okay if I store your number, or well, MY number in this phone?
I sighed and was proud of myself that I'd finally responded.

-
I was woken by the sound of a received message and realized that I'd fallen asleep with the phone in my hands. I rubbed my eyes and squeezed them half-way through the bright light coming from the phone screen and the lights in my room. I looked out the window and saw that it'd already become dark. It was summer so it only got dark late, which meant that I apparently slept for a very long time. I watched the time. 11:37 pm. Fine, and nobody woke me up? I looked at the message.
From Unknown: Hey, Taylor
From Unknown: You understand that we both do not like this
From Unknown: I want to make a promise with you
I felt my heart beat faster as I watched the messages appear on the screen all the time.
I tightened my clammy fingers to type a message back.
To Unknown: Sure
To Unknown: What is it?
I waited quietly for the new message.
From Unknown: As you know, I'm not so 'unknown'.
To Unknown: Believe me, I only heard your name for the first time today
From Unknown: Really??
To Unknown: Yeah, thanks to my sister, apparently she's a fan
From Unknown: I just don't want you to look at my pictures, go to my social media and all that stuff, okay?
I thought about it. What if I can't resist the urge to go to his photos?
To Unknown: What, do you have nudes in your gallery or something ?? XD
From Unknown: XD
From Unknown: No, fortunately not
To Unknown: Hey, don't worry, I don't want you to do all that stuff to me, so it's as fair as I don't do it to you, right?
I waited a moment.
From Unknown: What if you say that you're not going to do anything, but in the end, you still do it?
This was a difficult one. He was right, what if I can't stop myself. 'But wait a minute, as long as it does not have to last until you have each other's phone again?', I thought. 'You both live in Jersey?!'.
To Unknown: It doesn't have to take that long 'till we have each other's phone back, right? I thought you lived in Jersey too?