sixteen

I woke up from my staring session as soon as my mother had half-emptyed her glass and put it a little too hard on the table. A sigh escaped from her throat and she rubbed softly over the scrape that took half of her jaw. She still avoided my gaze and stared blankly at the dark purple colored slippers that covered her cold feet. I could see that she was picking up all her courage.
"Well, your mom was doing grocery shopping," she began. Her voice was shaking and she was almost inaudible. "Until a few weird guests from around Christian's age tried to tear my shopping bags out of my hands." She paused and took her glass and took a few gulps. "They pushed me against the car and scratched my jaw with keys."
I looked out the window at the car and saw that there was indeed to see that they had pushed her hard against the car.
Christian ran his hand through her hair.
"Did you see who they were?" was the only thing I could say.
She shook her head.
Tears made her eyes blurry.

"What can I do for you now, Mom?" I asked and I saw that she looked at me with a weak smile.
It hurt to see my mother like that. I cared about her dearly and that's why it came very hard.
"Well. You and Harper are leaving to LA in 6 days," she began, "but I'd rather not have you here anymore, especially with the situations that are going on here."
I looked at her questioningly.
"What are you saying mom?" I asked nervously what her answer would be.
"Well. I spoke with school. And you and Harper are leaving in 2 days."

-
I ran upstairs as fast as I could. From my nightdesk, I picked up the phone that had already been charged 71% and clicked on Message.
Before I started typing a new message, I changed the contact from Unknown to Grayson.
To Grayson: 'Hey! Uhm, great news!'
I waited for a while until the check marks turned from gray to blue and I noticed that my heart made a little jump.
My hands started to feel clammy as soon as 'Is Typing ..' appeared at the top left.
From Grayson: 'And what may that great news be, young lady?'
I giggled softly at that message and started to explain everything like crazy. No answer. Had he just left? My feelings collapsed like a brick and sad feelings took control of my body.

It lasted for 4 minutes until the well-known notification sound echoed through the room. But I ignored it.
More soon followed.
'Shall I go and see?' it sounded in my head. 'Are you really going to surrender to him now? Really?! This fast?' it sounded back.
I sighed and pushed myself up.
I picked up a few parts of the messages he sent and soon my attention was focused on a message about my father.

*Grayson
"Ethan!! She doesn't respond. But I really have no idea how to solve this." Ethan came into the room while he handed me a spoonful of ice.
"Thank you so so very much." I said sarcastically.
"Well, can't you handle a girl again?" said Ethan jokingly. He winked and gave me a push.
"Eth. I'm serious."
"Yes, what should I do? What is going on at all then?"
I sighed and looked at the phone. Exactly at that moment a message from her father appeared again.
I read it out loud.
"Hey, honey. Bad news, Harper can not be reached so I have to tell you now. Your father is on a business trip for a few days and I know how much you want to go to LA. Can't we do it another time?"
Emotions spread over my body and nerves took hold of my pores.

*Taylor
From Grayson: 'Uhm, yes hey, it's nice that you react so well -_-, but your father just sent me a message.'
To Grayson: 'Maybe about the arrival times?'
I waited until he started typing again.
I noticed that the connection had gotten worse and it took a while before a message was sent or arrived. 'Maybe it's his WiFi.' I thought to myself.
From Grayson: 'Nope, he said something about a business trip, but I already have an idea.'
Different thoughts came up in me.
'What does dad mean by a business trip?'
To Grayson: 'Explain.'
From Grayson: 'Uhm well, your father is not available in LA, he wants to do it another time :('
The hope fell into my shoes.
From Grayson: 'But hey, don't worry, because I have a master plan ;)'

What would it be?..