3//Her Hayley. My Hayley.

Chapter 3: Her Hayley. My Hayley.

Song: At Seventeen by Janis Ian

HAYLEY

"You're so beautiful, baby. When you get older, I'm gonna take such good care of you. You're gonna live with daddy, okay?"

"NO!"

I snap my eyes open to reveal that it was just another nightmare, and I'm in a bed that isn't mine, sweating like a pig and only wearing a large black shirt.

The familiar face emerges in the bedroom door as they stand there with a concerned look and a toothbrush in their mouth.

"Hayes, you okay?"

I blink several times before answering her.

"Yeah, Gracie, I'm fine."I lie and cover myself up with the thick duvet.

"So, I know you hate leaving the house but there's this one guy-"she begins.

"No, Grace, can I just stay here? I don't wanna go anywhere unless it's an emergency."I remind her. Her brown eyes roll back before they meet mine again.

"Trust me, it's an emergency. This new guy in town is so cute, I feel like you guys would have such a connection!"she squeals of excitement.

Gracie is my close friend, I've known her for about 2 1/2 years now. She's the only person I can tolerate so I live with her now. I moved in about 4 months ago. However, we have so many differences, I don't even know how we even became friends. She's a social butterfly, I'm an antisocial pessimist. She likes to eat healthy food, I'm a junk food queen. She prefers cats, I prefer dogs.

One thing we have in common? We both love fashion design.
Clothes are her getaway from having to do school work.
Clothes are my getaway from reality.

"Gracie, I don't wanna meet anyone. No. I'm good, I don't care whoever it is-"

"Come on, Hayes! He's really cute and shy and adorable but also sexy at the same time! He's silent as hell though, but he's only staying for a week and I'm going to meet him in half an hour so please!"she begs.

"No, Grace."I say with sternness laced in my voice. She huffs of frustration and rolls her eyes before walking out. "You're gonna end up alone."she blurbs out of her toothpaste filled mouth.

I'd rather alone than be with someone who isn't Calum.

»|•|«

CALUM

After spending my life in Australia, I had finally turned 20. I had moved out of my parents house, much to their delight. I moved in with a friend of mine, Michael.

I've gotten used to noise by now. It was inevitable. But if I'm able to avoid it, I will.

I've only been living with Michael for a while until I decided I should take a small vacation. I don't know why, but I chose to come to New York. I always heard Hayley talk about it when we were younger, how she dreamed of moving here and getting a job as a fashion designer.

So I came here to stay, but only for a week.

The first day I was here, I was just minding my business and getting myself some coffee. A girl with long brown hair and an adorable smile came up to me and introduced herself. She said she was in a rush that day but she was willing to show me around New York the next day. I didn't really say anything. I just nodded along and smiled politely.

So here I am, in the coffee shop, waiting for the girl. Her name is Gracie I think?

I find myself stirring up my coffee, staring down into it.

"Aussie guy!"

I look up to see Gracie walking towards me with a bright smile. "Hey!"she greets me before sitting down in front of me. I give her a friendly head nod before taking a sip of my coffee.

"So, I know you're new to this place so we can go wherever you'd like first."she says. I look out the window and narrow my eyes.

Where would I go?

"Do you just wanna walk around?"she asks. I meet her gaze and nod to her question. "Okay, lets go."she smiles and stands up.

I stand with her, leaving my tip on the table with the bill and walking away.

"My friend, Hayley,"she starts and clears her throat. "I invited her to come but she didn't feel like leaving the house apparently."

Hayley-? Wait, it's probably just a coincidence. There's other girls with the name of Hayley.

"Oh."I say quietly.

"You don't talk a lot. May I ask why?"she questions and looks up at me. I shrug. "It's a long story."I murmur. She nods. "Well, I have time."she laughs out as we continue walking the busy streets.

I sigh out and purse my lips.

"Ever since I was young I liked silence and hated noise. I hated when people talked, I even hated when I talked,"I pause to glance down at Gracie. "Until, then I met this girl, her name was Hayley. We were best friends. She was the only person that understood me and then she kind of just... left. So I went back to being quiet. I closed everyone out. I waited until I was 20 to move out my parents house and I moved in with a friend of mine. I slowly opened up more and now I'm here just to take a vacation, basically. I don't usually talk as much as I am right now but that's because I'm explaining this to you."

As I finish, she looks up at me with a small smile.

"So basically when your Hayley left, it fucked up your life?"she asks. I nod truthfully.

We continued walking the streets of New York, she showed me around all of the good shops and avoided the crappy ones.

She told me stories of her Hayley, the things she would do. She shoplifted from all of these stores at least twice. She sold them for even more money than what their worth, but it was for a good cause.

It was for her mother's insurance and to help pay for her mother's bills and the other quarter of the money went towards the house her and Gracie share. With whatever money she had leftover she would buy groceries and help pay rent and if there was any leftover from that, Hayley would use it to but materials for her designs.

It's so ironic, my Hayley liked designing as well.

"Would you like to meet her?"Gracie asks me, looking excited. "Your Hayley?"I question.

She nods. I ponder on the thought before nodding along. What could go wrong?

»»»»»»»«««««««

Hiya Heya

So I hope you're enjoying the book so far, this is one of my books where I'm putting A BUNCH of effort and time into it so I hope I don't disappoint :))

-Jenna💕