The First Hunt

The First Hunt

(Kyra: wolf form)

I never knew which time it was when the hunt began; I recalled from everybody's howls it was shortly after I arrived. When I walked out the cave, evidently still in wolf form, the sky was just reaching dusk, and there were thoughts about the downwind approaching.

When my paws were fully out of the cave, I heard whispers of how my appearance was illusionary and that I was taking form of a much bigger artic wolf, trying to manipulate myself as The She-Wolf.

This agitated me, but it was nothing compared too how much Shax agitated me.

I walked in a firm line, over to where the pack where lining up; all awaiting for Shax whom was speaking with Luna, alone.

"White one... look at me!" 

I flinched; the demanding of this voice was unexpected. And how rude! If one thing I ever hated as a human it was rude people. So, clearly ignoring him, I upturned my nose towards the sky and breathed in.  

"I said look at me!" the voice repeated, though sterner. 

I was hesitant in dragging my eyes from the sky and looking at him. I glared at a pair of deep, yellow eyes. The grey wolf who stared at me in awe appeared very average. That was, however, putting aside the smooth texture of his glossy coat...  I narrowed my eyes at him, watching his eyebrows rise as his thoughts gave him credit for his accusations

"The name's Seirs," he said. I stared at him for a further few seconds. The hair on my neck became static, my tail pointed down, and my eyes shut tight again; I found that my nose was facing the sky once more. It took a lot to ignore his growls and his condemnation against my disrespectful attitude. His indignation made me laugh though, a quiet chuckle in the depths of my throat, and I looked ahead only to see wolves surrounding me as they forged a straight and narrow line of concentration.

All wolves were barking, snarling, and growning with excitment. At first I was weary but I told myself that I had no reason to be weary. I was not going to take part in their travesty.

Slowly Shax began to wade past his wolves, where he then stood firm at the front of his line.

"Excited?" Luna asked. I turned my head slightly, and stared at her red face and watched her fangs overlap her bottom lip accentuating her dopey expression.

"That's not really the word I'd use." I replied, slightly mirthful. Before Luna opened her mouth, a voice, four down from Shax, complained that the downwind should be blowing heavily if we headed north right then.

"Just follow what they do, k... You'll find your senses will change; sort of altered by your personality. Oh! And here's a tip... Always aim for their legs or their hips. Tose bits are extra juicy."

The humans or the deers?

When we did arrive north, darting through the forest and opening up into a reasonably dark meadow, Shax ordered for us to be quiet and stay crouched.

On one slope, next to the meadow's left, there were stretches of trees. Plain trees. Adjacent from them were broken up rocks, the sounding of a quiet waterfall and more trees, which were ruined and looked completely and utter baleful; even with the dragonflies soaring in and out of them. Inwardly I told myself that I didn't covet much to venture through that side.

The whole line kept their heads low, their teeth bearing - all apart from me. When their heads crouched, mine still remained up in air before I realised my idleness and then followed their routine. Luna faintly laughed in her head, while Shax growled and commanded me to pay my utmost attention.