Being At Your Own Funeral

(Kyra)

Attending my own funeral was never on my list to do list. Even though I was hidden amid the trees along with Kallum, I still felt as if I were attending it. We had to conceal ourselves. Could you possibly imagine two large wolves mourning over a pretend gravestone? I think not. And yeah, when I say pretend, I literally mean it. The few people that were gathered around were barely even perceptible, for only my dad and introverted brother Jack stood next to each other with remorseful expressions printed across their faces.

At first I couldn't make out what or who they were burying, or what they were staring at, but then Kallum whispered it was just a head stone with BOTH of our names engraved on it. I slowly jilted my head to the side, trying to make out the Vicars words clearer. He was murmuring a chapter from his bible, while my dad stood sombrely looking, against guilt-stricken Jack. I studied the Chalks' expressions. My father's was almost non-descriptive. He stood firmly on top of the earth; his clothes were torn, faded, his face was ashen, looking as if he was about to vomit and his bottom lip trembled. My brother, on the other hand, stood somewhat pompously next to him. Occasionally, for Kallum and I's funeral lasted about half an hour, my brother would look at my grave stone and his eyes would glaze over - like he was surpassing some kind of forbidden emotion - but then, when he realised he wasn't alone, he'd scowl and turn away once again.

"Never thought I'd be where I am right now..." Kallum sighed.

"Why has nobody from your family come?"

"I have no family. They're all dead," he mumbled.

I nodded my head, then closed my eyes for a few seconds. And when I had exposed them after a deep inhale, I felt a refreshing feeling brushing against the fur on my face. I looked up at the sky, and noticed that God was weeping a silent rain among my father's mournful face. He too was staring at the sky. I looked over to him, and saw the flowers he held tightly in his grasp were now drooping in his hand, paying their respects to the dead. I felt heartbroken for my dad, even although we weren't as close as we had once been. He was still my dad, and when I narrowed my eyes at him, I saw a tear drizzle down his cheek. It might've been a blotch of rain, but a part of me yearned for it to be the tear, for it made me believe that he, too, was missing me. 

"Come on, Dad... Let's go." Jack whispered succinctly to my dad. My dad frowned at him, his mouth parted but it was stopped when the Vicar spoke some final words from his Bible, then he closed his book and walked back into the parlour.

"Leave me alone, son. Just for a moment."

I could hear Kallum's agitated and impatient body rustling itself against the trees, but I ignored him and stared at my dad's mouth.

"No!" Jack wined. "We have to leave now! I've told ya' before, these woods aren't safe!"

My dad glared at him before bellowing, in a deep, sonorous tone, "Enough with your stupid delusions Jack!"

"For the last time they're not delusions! I'm telling you Kyra wasn't who you thought she was... She's still out there, somewhere..."