Understanding

(Kallum: wolf form)

When I smelled the aroma of a scent I could not register, I hushed Kyra. I could sense their anger. Their paws were unfamiliar to me. They were from the other side, that much was very clear.

Their steps grew louder, and my heart skipped faster. I turned to Kyra, you need to run, I basically commanded her. You need to phase. Her wee helpless self ran defensively into the heart of the forest; unprotected.

In the matter of just seconds I had phased into my wolf form. I only wished for Kyra's sake that she had done the same.

My nose smelled the ambience. They were more than close. They were here.

I grimaced at a grey figure which materialised right in front of my eyes. I attempted to communicate with him, but it was unachievable to do so. It was then when I reassured myself that they weren't the type of wolf I was.

Its lips twirled upwards, its teeth clenched down. I wasn't scared. Even when its puny little head jerked forward and its mouth snapped together, I repeated his actions; intimidating him. My paws took a step forward, and I rose my head as far as I possibly could, so I towered above it.

A quiet grumble was slowly erupting in the foundation of my body. It had to be released. As I was about to lunge at him I saw the hesitation in the wolf's next actions. Its head lunged backwards, and two wolves scuttled by us, hunting the air. I kept my gaze onto the small wolf in front of me, locking him in my firm scrutiny, but before I could even attack it had pounced to its left and it followed his mates.

I froze, my ears fell backwards. Kyra!

My paws ran through the forest, avoiding the crushed up trees which caved underneath me. I was faster and bigger than the other wolves, but yet I was still behind. I urged myself to go faster. My gigantic paws gritted firmly into the bark beside me. Quickly I smelled the air and instantly I picked up Kyra's sweet aroma. She was still in human form. Panicking now, I ran even faster than I thought possible. I reached Kyra just in time. She stood there, like a frozen sculpture, while the three wolves teamed up on her.

Before they could even assail, and with one singular jump, I had seized myself on top of them. I snapped at Kyra's foot in order for her to move, then I took mouthfuls of the wolves who attempted to take me down too.

With each yank of my head, I impressively out manoeuvred all three of them. I dislocated and peeled the flesh away from at least each of their limbs.

One of the smaller wolves managed to get my tail it its undersized mouth. Getting overly agitated, as I was protective over my tail, I growled and sank my teeth into its neck. I could feel my canine's pierce the flesh; the blood ooze out and spurt in my mouth. And then, as if I were demented, I gnawed at it until I heard the bone snap and threw its body away; where it crashed against an elevated tree.

I felt the other wolves back off me then. They took a single stare at their lifeless mate, before cowering and surrendering back into the forest.

Bloody cowards! I snapped the air between my teeth before I turned around and saw Kyra, whom had fainted.

I grinned and somehow I managed to secure her body on top of my own, whereupon doing this I then ran out of the forest and took the countryside back route. It was the only place where I was sure they'd be no other wolves.

(Kyra: human form)

When I woke up, I wasn't in a familiar place, nor was I in my bed. I was anywhere but my bed.

The sore wind battled against my face, carrying the flesh off from the bones; the stench of wet dog was all I inhaled.

Once I had opened up my eyes more realistically I was in view of an earth road covered in grit; four paws beating against the grains.