Chapter 13

10pm

10pm

Leigheanna is travelling back home in her father's car. The two of them are not saying a word to each other, which is proof that there's a lot of tension between the two of them.

They're not looking at each other either. He's probably held accountable for her summer failure, as he did nothing to stop Kaitlin's fury and instead seemed to admit defeat.

Leigheanna: Why didn't you do anything to stop her?

Dave: Leighy, please. I don't want to talk about her.

Leigheanna: Oh yeah, we are going to talk about her instead! Do you wanna take a look at this?

She shows him the red, aching bruise underneath her nostrils, but he doesn't pay attention to her at all.

Dave: Leigheanna, stop it. You're distracting me.

Leigheanna: Oh, really? You care more about your driving than about my health!

Dave: Do you want to get into an accident?

Leigheanna: You're freaking the freak out. Damn. You're worse than Mom.

Dave: Oh, please, hold your fucking tongue.

Leigheanna: Damn, I want to leave this car.

Suddenly, the two of them reach a gas station where to stop for a while.

Dave: I need to rest a little bit. And smoke. I've been driving almost non-stop for seven fucking hours.

Leigheanna: Just don't do it near the gas tanks. I don't wanna explode.

Dave: Oh, shut up. I'm not as reckless as you think.

Leigheanna: Huh. Who believes you?

The two of them find a quiet place where to smoke in peace. After ten minutes, however, Leigheanna gets fed up of smoking and disposes of the cigarette in the garbage bin leaving it lit. Then, she leaves, before someone could catch her.

Leigheanna: I'm so fucking bored. What can I do? Oh, I got it. I could call Rowan. Hopefully, he'll answer. Or, at least, this is what I think.

She tries calling Rowan, but receives no answer.

Leigheanna: He must've gone to a party. Or to bed. Who knows. Never mind, anyway.

While she's waiting for Rowan calling her, she stutters as her phone is ringing insistently.

Leigheanna: Let's hope it's him...

Phone call between Leigheanna and Rowan

Leigheanna: Hello.