Chapter Ten

Kai eventually made it back from the town called Mystic Falls a few weeks later than he thought. He explained to me that he could not find a way to get out there.

I wasn't that disappointed, I didn't figure there would be a way out.  I smiled at him to try to cheer him up, but I could tell that he was really sad about it.

I have been four years, meaning that it is now 1998, technically. I was losing hope. I am never going to be leaving this place.

Right now we are fixing to start our training session. I walk to the pool outside of Kai's house and waited for him. I sat on the ground. I grew bored after a few minutes because I got here early, and I started pulling out pieces of grass and playing with them.

I lay down and stared at the sky but not really looking at it. I think about how much Kai has changed this place in the short about of time that he has been here. I think about how much he has changed me.

..................

I watch as Kai get frustrated with the game. I smile as I lay down my cards to reveal that I had won.

"How do you win all of the time?" He asked with curiosity. He studied me for a second, "This is your first time playing Poker?" I nod my head at him and continue to smile. "You cheating aren't you?" He asked with a smile growing on his face.

I let out a laugh, something I haven't done in years. "I wanted to see how long it would take you to figure it out," I tell him while I continue laughing.

He smiles before he starts laughing along with me. In the ten years that I have known him, I have never seen him laugh, but he probably hasn't seen me laugh either.

It has been ten years now. The year, according to our records, is 2004. But of course, we are still in 1994.

Every second of the ten years we have spent looking for a way out. We weren't successful. I don't think we ever will be. But that's okay. I've made my peace with it, as long as Kai is here with me. He is my anchor.

Each night I have to go through a transformation since I am a werewolf, but thanks to him it's not painful. He found a spell eight years ago when he took a trip to Mystic Falls to make shifting into a wolf not as painful.

We have grown closer over the years. I now let him siphon from me whenever he feels like he needs magic.

He leaned over the table and grabbed my arm, "If you get to cheat, why can't I?" I felt some of my magic drain from me as he siphoned.

I smile at him, "I think I can still beat you." I challenged him.

"I don't know, out in the real world I was a champion." He tells me with a cocky smile.

We spend the next few hours playing Poker. Kai was right, he is really good at this game. He beat me more than once since we were both cheating.

After we finish Kai uses the last remaining magic in him to put away the cards and chips. I start to head back to my house, while I hear Kai calling for me.

I turn around to look at him, "What?" I ask him. He looks nervous as he runs his hand through his hair.

"D-do you want to stay here tonight?" I stare at him shocked. In the ten years that he has been here, he hasn't asked me to stay here with him. It took him eight years just to take down the spell he put up to keep me out in the house.

I ponder over his question and shake my head. I saw his eye grow sad as he pleaded for me to stay. "Please, Angel, stay."

I let out a sigh and nod my head, dropping my bag to the floor. "Okay. I'll stay." I tell him and I watch as his smile lights up his face making me smile too.

He tells me that I can sleep in Jo's room, his twin sister. I walk into her room and change my clothes. I grab one of her sleep shirts and pajama pants.

I quickly get into bed. I was worn out after training and then using my magic in the game, then letting Kai use some.

I had no trouble falling asleep that night, in fact, I sleep better than I have in centuries.

I don't remember falling asleep, I just remember waking up to Kai screaming. I open my eyes, startled. I get it of bed and open my door. "Kai," I called out to him.

I walked across the hall to his door. I knocked on it before calling him again. "Kai," I waited for a few seconds but nothing only the sound of his loud breathing and screams every now and then. "Kai, are you alright?" I asked with worry as I reach for the door handle.

I twist the knob and push open the door. Kai is laying there on the bed, he's dreaming. After ten years he still gets the nightmares. I know mine wasn't the same, but mine didn't go away for a few decades.

I walk over to him and gently place my hand on his shoulder, shaking him to wake him up. "Kai, wake up."

He opens his eyes and looks around as if he doesn't know where he is. "It's just a dream," I tell him in a calm voice. His eyes land on mine and he seems to calm down.

He sits up looking embarrassed. Is this why he never wants to stay the night here? He doesn't want me to see him when he is valuable and weak.

But it just makes me like him more. We are more alike then we thought. We have to battle our demons each night and each day. It just proves how strong he really is. He won't tell me, but I know that whatever his family did to him affected him greatly.

He wanted me to stay here so I could help him fight his demons, just like he does for me.