Chapter 6

What the hell was I thinking?!

I wasn't...

This is crazy! What am I even going to say?!

I'm in my Jeep at the beach 15 minutes from when I hung up. I should go down, but right now I'm questioning if I'm even sane enough to be making decisions.

This is stupid. This decision was stupid. I was stupid to even answer the damn phone.

Too late now.

I have almost convinced myself to just back up and leave when a tap on the passenger side window scares me out of my thoughts.

I hit the unlock button as Tayler clambers into the seat. We sit in silence for a while before he finally speaks up.

"You had something you wanted to talk about?" he says.

"Yeah. Listen, I'm not some fragile doll that you need to be careful with and cherish. I know that you may have gotten that impression from the day we met, but I'm not that girl. I'm not the girl who usually cries over a painting, and I sure as hell am not the girl that relies on a guy. Me trying to tell you earlier wasn't me saying stop, it was me giving you a heads up. You were going to find out anyway, and I didn't want you to be surprised," I began.

"I'm so sorry, Em. That wasn't at all my intention, but-"

"No buts Tayler. You can't make that decision for me. It's my body, and I make the decisions regarding it. If I'm going to give you this second chance, I need you to understand that the me that you have seen so far isn't the me I normally am. I want to be treated normally, not like a damsel in need of protection."

"I think I can respect that," he responded with a slight grin on his face.

"You'd better..." I said, the mood lightening. "Now, since we have that out of the way, what do you say we get some Hollywood Burger? I would KILL for a shake right now," I said ending that conversation.

"Totally! One shake, two straws?" Tayler asked.

"No, bitch! Imma get my own damn shake!" I said laughing hysterically.

————

The rest of the night we laughed and talked about almost everything. We got to know each other better, and with every new thing I learned about Tayler, the fonder of him I grew. I wanted nothing more than for the night to last forever and it almost seemed like it would.

At sunrise I drove back to the beach and let Tayler out at his car before going home to sleep.