Chapter 10

Bryce and Zach start pantomiming gagging and throwing up at my statement, which makes me laugh.

"Oh grow up," I say on a chuckle.

I go to glance at Tayler but he seems to have disappeared from where he was standing. I'm about to turn around when I feel his arms snake around my waist and his head come down to rest on my shoulder. He nuzzles and kisses my neck and my knees nearly give out.

I lean backwards into him and smile in genuine contentment. This boy makes me so happy.

Tayler has started a conversation with the boys without me realizing it, but I can't seem to focus enough to make out what they're saying. I can't seem to focus on anything other than the smell of Tayler's cologne enveloped around me and how his arms give me a small squeeze when he laughs.

Just as I find myself wishing that the moment could last forever, it ends. Tayler lets go and follows the guys into another room.

"Emily!" someone yells from the other room, "Come here!"

I follow the voice to its source and see that Indiana was calling my name.

"I wanted to introduce myself while Tayler wasn't glued to you. I'm Indiana and this...," she says gesturing toward the other girl, "is Lilia."

Lilia gives me a small smile as Indiana continues, "We've been dying to meet you to understand why TAYLER IS BEING A SIMP!" She yells the last part and pauses. I'm very confused until I hear Tayler yell back, "SHUTUP!" while laughing.

Indiana laughs and continues, "Now that you're here I completely understand, but I still have to give him shit for simping."

I laugh in response and can't help but admire the relationship she must have with Tayler to just be another "one of the guys". I also can't help but observe how reserved Lilia has been since I got here and I can't help but feel insecure, like maybe I've done something to upset her.

Note to self: Ask Tayler about Lilia.

"Anyway," Indiana says, pulling me out of my thoughts, "Tayler hasn't stopped talking about you for days, but somehow still has managed to tell me absolutely nothing about you. Tell me everything!"

"There isn't much to tell," I say shyly.

"Come on, everyone has a story. Where did you come from? Where are you going? What are the things that make you, YOU?" Indiana pushes.

"Well, I started out in a little town in Kansas and I'm not sure where I want to go yet," I say.

"Girl that's not what I mean. What was your past like? Who are your people? What are your aspirations? And don't think I didn't realize that you skipped that last question," Indiana retorts.

"Well," I begin. "Small town living is pretty boring. I'm in a family of four: me, my parents, and my brother Liam who is a year younger than me. I'm in art school and I want to go on to own my own curated gallery. I'm not sure how to answer that last part though," I respond.

"Okay, cool on the gallery thing. That sound dope as hell! And everyone has things that make them who they are: talents, interests, people, events...," she says, continuing to push.

"Um..., I guess my family... and art for sure, after that I can't think of anything else. That basically sums me up."

"Come on. So your an artist, right? And every good artist has some sort of trauma. What's your damage?" Indiana asks bluntly.