Hermione before Hogwarts

Hermione was done. Completely done with school. She didn't belong there. She loved to study but her classmates ...

Wierdo, freak and what not. Words they used to call her. Making fun of her bushy hair. And her teeth. It wasn't her fault that her front teeth were a bit larger than normal but who was perfect? The fact that both parents were dentists, made the matter all the more funny.

Mom, I'm home. She wanted to call out like in the typical clichéd movies, but she knew both her parents would be home in evening.  Fumbling for the keys in her bag, Hermione let a huge sigh. The tears blurring her vision weren't helping. At last she found the key and let herself in.

It was then she noticed that the lights in the living room were on. She peeped in, both her parents were sitting on the couch. And opposite them was the world's most stern looking cat, sitting so still and unblinking that it could pass for a statue. Hermione could've sworn she'd spotted the same tabby following her for past few weeks, with the same markings around her eyes.

As if sensing her, the cat turned her direction, it's tail twitched and eyes narrowed. Hermione stepped into the room.

"Mom, dad, what's happening?"

Her parents looked at her, eyes widened in a daze.

"And what's with the cat?" She turned to point at the tabby but it was gone. Instead she was greeted by a rather severe-looking woman who was wearing square glasses exactly the shape of the markings the cat had had around its eyes. She was wearing a cloak, an emerald one, despite the warm weather. Her black hair was drawn into a tight bun. She looked distinctly ruffled.

"Ms.Granger, if you may sit down." The woman said in a no nonsense tone.

Hermione put her bag down and sat before she realized. The woman's tone made her a little afraid. It was then she noticed a closed envelope on the table between them. The envelope was thick and heavy, made of yellowish parchment, and the address was written in emerald-green ink. There was no stamp. The woman gestured her to pick up that envelope. Turning the envelope over, her hand fumbling, Hermione saw a purple wax seal bearing a coat of arms; a lion, an eagle, a badger, and a snake surrounding a large letter H.

 Turning the envelope over, her hand fumbling, Hermione saw a purple wax seal bearing a coat of arms; a lion, an eagle, a badger, and a snake surrounding a large letter H

She pulled out the letter and read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Granger,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.