Three: Discovery

"The world is dyed red with blood."
~ Kaydence Samuels

THREE

"Dawson, let's get lunch!"

Sophi bounced back to her usual self during lunch. She liked to call people by their last names, which was weird, but all just part of her personality.

We sat outside on one of the many picnic tables. Kaydence had a French oral examination and then a filming project. I didn't know when she could fit lunch into that tight schedule.

Sophi brought out her large lunch bag. She ate a lot for a petite girl. I stole some of her dumplings since I was too shaken to think about lunch this morning.

Who would've thought a random vampire's face was the first thing I saw this morning?

I nearly choked when I came to the realization. Alecx told me he'd be arriving home early this morning, and I completely forgot! I left the house at a quarter past six. I probably missed him.

Sophi stared at me while I patted my pockets, then her eyes narrowed in understanding. "Left your phone at home, didn't ya?"

"Crap," I muttered the only word that was going through my head.

"Oh, yes," Sophi said with a hand in front of her full mouth, "I left a present for you. Sorry, I couldn't hand-deliver it. I didn't get to see you yesterday. It's in your coffee table drawer."

"Thank you," I replied briskly. I didn't like receiving presents from friends. I wasn't being courteous when I told her that, but it seemed like she thought I was. "Did you understand anything in math today? I kept spacing out and heard like, half the actual lesson."

"Same, I barely paid attention. Honestly, I don't even do the homework."

"Shut up! You got a ninety-five on the last test!" I picked up a grape from her snack box and tossed it to her. She caught it with her mouth.

"What can I say? Math is in my Asian genes." She wiggled her sharp eyebrows, making me laugh.

I patted myself on the back for acting so natural the whole day. The mere thought of the word "vampire" still sent goosebumps down my arms, but I didn't show it.

The clock struck three thirty. I could just go home, and I'd call Arthur.

It took me a while to remember my uncle, who was an adult and could probably do something about all this craziness. Also, Jaxson and Alecx always had my back. All I wanted was to get home without running into any bitches.

"Hey."

Jinxed myself.

"What's up, Hailee?" I closed my locker and tried my best not to appear annoyed.

"Give me a ride. I have something to inform you about," she stated bluntly with her arms crossed. She was attracting attention from other students, and I didn't like it.

"What makes you think I'd do that?" Eyeing her with a small frown, I then proceeded to zip up my bag.

"Ahm, do I look like I'm asking?" She tilted her head with a nasty mocking face and leaned into the lockers beside mine.

I sighed. "We're not friends. Heck, we're not even acquaintances. You don't like me; I don't like you. Besides, I'm going with Kaydence, and my car only fits two people."

She showed no signs of backing down. "Kaydence has band practice after school. I'm sure you know that."

"Just tell me whatever you gotta tell me here." With nothing left, I flung my backpack over my shoulder and flipped my hair out of the way.