Twenty-Six: Descended in Danger

"Humans will never realize that they are the real monsters."
~ Hailee Greene

TWENTY-SIX

On Saturday morning, Alecx insisted that we eat breakfast at a local café. He vowed that they had the best blueberry muffins and the prettiest latte art.

We found a table near the window, which was a horrible idea on my part since the rising sun was scorching my delicate vampire skin.

I tried to ignore it and picked up the menu, but Alecx plucked it away from my hands with a cheeky grin. "I know just what you'd like. Wait for the surprise."

I complied. Great, now I have to act like everything is scrumptious when it tastes like plastic.

When Alecx checked his phone, I scanned the interior of the cozy café. The decorations were aesthetic, and I saw some teens attempting to take artsy photos of their food.

I shifted around in my seat. There, in the far corner of the shop, I thought I saw a familiar mop of ginger red hair. But I got distracted by the sound of a barista putting down my mug of coffee. Drawn on the creamy dark background of the surface was a miniature white rose. It was no wonder Alecx thought I'd like this. Everyone knew I had a thing for roses.

Before I could express my thanks, the barista set something else in front of me. An ice cream-like dessert rested in the center of six cerise rose petals. The auburn-colored plate emphasized the light shade of the sweet and the pale pink cream around it.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Pistachio and cardamom semifreddo with rose cream." She smiled before leaving me with a group of words that I barely understood.

"There's no way I'm not taking a picture of this." I brought out my phone. I snapped numerous different angles of the dessert and cappuccino.

Alecx had ordered a simple latte and muffin. I ogled the beautiful food set in front of me.

I murmured sadly, "Why didn't you take me here before?"

"Relax." Alecx chuckled. "You'll taste it now, won't you?"

No, I won't.

I forced an expectant smile on my face and took a sip of the drink. I froze my features so my disappointment wouldn't show. Something that should've been heavenly to my taste buds became a mixture of Coptis chinensis and cherry yogurt.

"I knew you'd like it!" Alecx bought my content expression easily and grinned proudly.

I pretended to eagerly scoop a spoonful of the dessert that I couldn't remember the name of. I couldn't even begin to describe the awfulness that befell my tongue. I kept a conversation going with Alecx so he wouldn't question me too much about the food.

While Alecx busied himself with his muffin, I turned around and scanned the far corner of the shop. Just as I thought, Kaydence sat on one of the indoor swing sets across from someone.

I stretched my neck up further to look past her head and see who she was talking to. I saw none other than Grant. That made sense; they were both vampire hunters.

I once again felt hurt that Kaydence didn't even tell me she returned from specialized training. I couldn't help but suspect that she knew my secret.

But how? Ever since I became a full-fledged vampire, I hadn't even seen her.

"What're you looking at?" Alecx finally questioned. I pointed Kaydence out.

"Oh, want to go over and say hi?" he asked innocently. I frantically waved my hand no.