Thirty: Duel

"Being strong isn't about acting tough on the surface, it's about having a strong heart and getting back up when you fall."
~ Hazel Dawson

THIRTY

Kaydence audibly gasped when my knee-high boots transformed into a pair of running shoes.

"I'm almost positive that she has the power to create magical clothing," Alecx whispered half-jokingly. To think that he could be even the least bit light-hearted in this situation, he had to be using humour to calm his nerves.

But the thought of how Zach would handle a situation like this almost made me feel a fleeting heartbeat. I quickly wiped my mind of those worthless thoughts.

The first time I tried the track, I nearly bumped into one of the pylons since I hadn't done this in years. Naturally, a stumble like that affected my time.

Quinn shook her head like she didn't expect anything more. The stopwatch showed an embarrassing 8.23.

"Last chance," she reminded.

I didn't feel nervousness nor pressure. I strolled back to the starting line. I couldn't feel anger, embarrassment, or hatred when I saw Henrietta's expression.

I tried to motivate myself. Becoming a vampire hunter was the only chance I had to face Zach as a new person, perhaps even a rival.

I'd wipe that defiant look right off his face.

I left only a flickering flash behind me as I wove through the pylons at a speed so fast that the human eye had trouble keeping up. However, as I stopped dead at the finish line, Quinn's coaching instincts allowed her to click the stopwatch right on time.

Her hands shook as she turned the stopwatch around in her hand.

4.94

I heard faint clapping and turned to the source of the noise. The men who had been engrossed in their basketball match applauded.

They were the first hunters who showed me some form of kindness. The congratulating smile on their faces briefly reminded me of Jeremy. He figured out that I was a vampire way back then, but he nonetheless tried to protect me and smiled at me.

I felt something crack within me, but I briskly fixed it.

"Kaydence, come with me." Henrietta took long strides out of the gym. Kaydence glanced back at me while following her out.

The Kaydence I knew would never follow someone around like a dog. What the hell did Henrietta do to her?

My curiosity didn't last long as Alecx invaded my vision. His words were encouraging, but I could tell that my being a vampire severely bothered him. Being a hunter meant that he must've been encountering nothing but vicious monsters. He was probably afraid that I'd end up the same some day.

Arthur patted me on the shoulder. At the same time, my running shoes morphed back into boots. I flung on my cardigan, and we set off to our next destination.

Alecx spoke to me as we traveled down the hall. I wasn't listening. I pondered exactly why I decided to do this. Perhaps I wanted to prove to Zach that I wasn't a burden, that he was wrong.

Then what?

The smell of paper hit me and interrupted my thoughts. I blinked and refocused my vision. We passed by several rooms with desks lined neatly in them. They appeared to be classrooms, and they were empty.

"This is where trainees take day classes," Alecx promptly explained. "We had to learn everything there is to learn about vampirism."

We arrived in the last classroom at the end of the hall. Arthur politely knocked before entering. To no one's surprise, Henrietta and Kaydence sat in the back row seats. None of us could question Henrietta's presence since she could say that she was here to make sure I passed.