Twenty: First

"I will eliminate all vampires from this world, even if it'd kill me to do it."
~ Henrietta King

TWENTY

Zach and I dashed down the alleyways at vampire speed. Police sirens resonated within the narrow paths from where we just escaped.

We crashed out from a high window after slaughtering the whole room. It was a lot easier to get over this time since I used methods that didn't involve splashing blood on me.

I finally got the sense to ask, "By the way, who exactly were those people?"

"Vampire abductors," Zach replied. "Henrietta provides them with weapons and buys vamps off of them. She does this to rid of day-to-day less famous ones. It's illegal; that's why she's secretive about it."

"Oh, my." If I fell to my kidnappers, I would've ended up face-to-face with Henrietta King. Then everything would be over. No secrets, no nothing.

Eventually, we halted and reclined against a wall. I panted, not in exhaustion, but in excitement. I suppose the vampire species demanded a higher supply of exhilaration.

My fangs were practically aching for a bite, and I almost gave in, but as I thought about the metallic taste of it, I controlled myself.

I stood against the wall while Zach slid down and sat with one of his legs up. We had the same look of satisfaction in our eyes. I thought I'd never be able to understand his mindset, but it wasn't so laborious once I spent some time with him. I sat down next to him.

"We're partners in crime, now. You can't escape." Chuckling, Zach raised his arms for a quick stretch. His shoulder brushed against mine, and it was like my brain did an air-flip. I peered at the side of his face as he spoke.

He always had a fluttering physical effect on me. His simple presence used to make my heart beat faster. Now that I didn't even have a heart, how come I was affected by him even more than before?

"Thanks, Zach," I mumbled. If I had been left in my house, I would've moped all night.

He began to deny, but stopped in the middle of his sentence and grew quiet. Something changed his mind. "You're welcome."

"You see, if you've always been this honest, I wouldn't have needed to try to read your body language." Truthfully, it was amusing to see his reactions, but once in a while, I'd prefer to hear him say it.

"If I tell you the truth from now on, could you stop? I don't like feeling transparent."

"Transparent? I'm not a God. I can barely figure out what you're thinking."

"Hazel," he warned.

"Fine. I'll only pay attention to your voice, not your gestures."

Zach leaned beside my ear and whispered, "Isn't that how you like it?" 

What a tease. I flinched and covered my ear. I turned to yell at him, but he got me right where he wanted. Under his bewitching pale blues, I fell effortlessly.

He didn't even need his mind control to capture me.

After many failed attempts, I squeezed my eyes shut and scooted a few inches away from him. I tossed him a glare, but he only returned a charming wink. I cleared my throat and attempted to change the subject.

"Listen, you can't come pick me up at school anymore."

"Hm? How come?"

"Girls almost tried to take pictures of you last time. You won't want to get exposed."