Black Blood - Alecx Harris

What was he thinking when he found Hazel's diary? Who was she to him? How did he feel about her? How did his psychological state change?

~ ~ ~

"What do you mean she's a vampire?"

Specialist Miller eyed me, then repeated, "I mean exactly what I said. Hazel Dawson is a vampire. Get yourself together, Harris."

I could only stare at him. He scrolled through his cell phone and continued, "We've secured her residence. You're assigned to the search team. And there'll be a meeting in room 1318 in half an hour. I'll send you an email with all the information."

When I didn't respond, he glanced at me. "On second thought, you don't need it, right? You guys are childhood friends or something."

He muttered to himself, entirely disregarding my feelings. Even as he sped past me, I stood still in the middle of the hallway.

First, Jeremy. Then, Kaydence. And now, even Hazel. How much more of my world were vampires going to destroy?

"I see that you've heard?" I looked up to see Kaydence walking this way. Her gray eyes used to be filled with an artist's sense of wonder. Now all I saw in them was death.

I narrowed my eyes. "You already knew, didn't you?"

She shrugged in return. "I've had my suspicions for a while. Only confirmed them a few days ago."

Hazel told me to confront Kaydence if I wanted to know why I'd never see her again, which meant she knew that Kaydence was suspicious of her. I wracked my brain and suddenly recalled the day I brought Hazel to the café. Was she jittery that day not because of Grant, but because of Kaydence?

The night before that day, a phone call woke me up at two in the morning. I finally pieced the whole story together. As Kaydence stopped in front of me, I asked, "Is that why you told me to bring her to that café?"

She quirked an eyebrow, then smiled. "You just realized?" She reached into her coat pocket and pulled out a photograph, holding it in front of me. In the photo, I sat at the café, smiling at an empty chair in front of me. Food for two was set on the table. Seeing this, the fact that Hazel was a vampire now began to sink in.

But my heart still refused to believe it until I saw her in person.

I looked Kaydence in the eye. "You seem so distant. Aren't you worried or anything? She's your best friend."

"She's a vampire!" Kaydence hastily clarified. "A vampire, Alecx."

I sighed. Our mutual hatred for those creatures was the biggest thing we had in common. But this time, the subject at hand was Hazel. Before I could respond, she said, "You should head to that meeting soon." Without another word, she brushed past me.

That night, I stood guard during my shift. I leaned against the tree on the front lawn, staring up at Hazel's house. I'd been here countless times, but tonight, the house seemed extra sombre. I thought back on the past few days with Hazel. To me, she acted like the same girl I grew up with. To think that she could hide such a big secret from me so effectively!

Suddenly, the Elitist stationed inside the house burst out the front door, yelling, "She's here! She's inside!"

While the others rushed in, I stayed where I was. Mr. Carrington had this house specially renovated. No one would be able to break down the door in time. Instead, the window of Hazel's room faced the driveway, so I fixed my gaze upward. If my predictions were correct, she should attempt to escape from her window.