Thirty-One: Hamartia

"I thought I wasn't strong enough to withstand the storm of love. That day, I realized that I became the storm as soon as I fell in love."
~ Zachary Nolan

THIRTY-ONE

"We'd have to get you a customized weapon as soon as possible," Arthur ranted on. I trailed behind him as he led us down the hall. He seemed rather happy. Alecx also walked beside me with a spring in his step. They must've liked what I said back in the ring.

Behind us, Henrietta and Kaydence followed. They kept muttering under their breath. I didn't bother to listen in.

"Meanwhile, you can check out these weapons to get inspiration." Arthur pushed open a set of double doors that led to what appeared to be an armaments room.

"What do you mean?" I asked, surveying the room. Swords and axes were either hung up on the wall or displayed in a showcase. None of them caught my eye.

"We get to design our own weapons," Arthur explained as he spun out his scythe. "For example, I requested a hidden blade to be placed at the edge of my sickle. If a vampire snuck up on me, I'd be able to react in time, which makes up for my weakness of having a large weapon. Also, I wanted dark purple while Alecx preferred bright green."

As I passed the racks, Arthur acted as a tour guide. The other three stayed by the door.

"All of these were weapons wielded by former Chiefs. They're the best of the best. Feel free to take any of these designs into your own weapon."

I saw much weaponry in all shapes and forms. A metal name tag was embedded below a display box or beside a racked sword.

I kept Zach in mind as I scanned through the weapons. It didn't take an extra glance to know that none of these would even land a scratch on him. They were too thick and heavy to be considered agile. For someone as fast as Zach, I'd need a flexible weapon.

A bow and arrow? No, the loading time would be the time of my death.

Sickle and chain? Even worse. For a beginner like me, controlling such a whip-like weapon would require much practice time that I didn't have.

At last, I came to a halt at the center of the room. Unlike the others, this spear rested in royal red velvets and a beautiful display case with golden rims. It laid in the center. This one gave off a superior aura compared to the rest. But that wasn't why it intrigued me.

The rubies embedded in the spearhead and bar seemed to glow in response to my interest.

Arthur noticed my prolonged staring at the spear, and his expression softened. "This belonged to your father."

It was surprising to know, but it still wasn't the reason why it fascinated me. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I felt compelled to reach out.

"Can I use this?" I asked, my eyes never leaving the ruby in the dead center that was glimmering at me.

"Use it?" Arthur repeated. "I don't think so. It's stayed untouched for years. Besides, it's made entirely out of materials that'll burn a vampire."

"If you like its design, our scientists can replicate it," Henrietta said from the entrance. I paid scant attention to her.

I was impatient, and I didn't want to ask twice. I placed the tips of my fingers on the glass and wished for it to shatter into pieces. As if an explosion, the pieces flew outward in every direction. I was closest to the case, and the shards would've cut me had I still been human. Arthur reacted quickly, and his long coat prevented any injury.

"What did you do?!" Henrietta and Arthur shouted at the same time.

Left with only the structure of the display case, I reached down for the spear that practically gleamed at me. I wrapped my fingers around the weapon. It was quite heavy, and I would've had trouble wielding it without a vampire's strength.