Bloodlust - Zachary Nolan

Hazel couldn't read this problem child's mind. What was going on in that twisted mind of his when Hazel gradually became more and more important to him? How did he come to hurt those around him to protect them?

~ ~ ~

Crazy to think that I was shopping for cellphones half an hour ago. Now, I stood in an abandoned factory, watching Hazel giggle amidst dead bodies on the ground. She had just killed her seven kidnappers. Even for me, it was a bit of a gory scene.

Stumbling, she then fixed her gaze on us. It suddenly hardened again. I glanced behind me, realizing that she hadn't met Vivian. I quickly gestured for her to leave. Turning back to Hazel, I slowly walked toward her while she stared at her blood-soaked hands.

All of a sudden, she jumped, as if terrified of the pools of blood that she created. Her face almost mirrored mine from so long ago. So, so long ago, when I made my first kill. The first time I didn't faint at the sight of blood.

Immediately, I held her shoulders and drew her attention to me. "Look at me, Hazel, don't look down."

"I killed them...," she whispered like a ghost. I let her grab and stain my shirt until her vampire irises settled down. I knew only one gesture to calm someone down. It was what my mother always did for me.

I stroked the back of her head but decided against an embrace. I said, "Let's go home."

I knew she'd definitely mope over it for the next week if I didn't do something, so it was the perfect moment to show her what I found. I led her across buildings, bridges, trees, and people. All the way to the secret garden.

I couldn't admit that I was nervous. Worrying she shouldn't like it, I glanced at Hazel several times while she squinted to see the rose field. The corners of my lips involuntarily drew up before I forced them down. Stupid, we have night vision. Why are you squinting?

The elation in her eyes and beam on her face was enough of an answer for me. I then realized that I'd been staring at her for the past minute. My smile disappeared as she turned toward me, moon-eyed with glee.

"Why don't I have the heart to hurt you? Why was I so panicked when you went missing?" I mumbled. "Maybe you have a psychological-based ability, after all? How else could my strange behavior be explained?"

What scared me next was that the glee in her eyes seemed to amplify. She was happy. Why would she possibly be happy?! I turned away.

No, I didn't want her to suffer like I did so many years ago. But I also had to maintain my distance. I got way too comfortable just now. In a panic, I pulled up my vengeance story.

"Do you remember the girl I sucked dry the first time you met me?" I said, noting her confused expression. "She was Henrietta King's most talented apprentice, but she was so weak. So easy. Henrietta and her family took away my everything, so I'll simply take away all of hers."

Just as I was relieved by the encompassing silence, she suddenly spoke up, "You can't push me away, yet. You promised that you'd watch me avenge my parents."

I turned to her in shock. "I don't remember making such a promise."

"Will you promise now?"

I looked at her held-up pinkie finger. The thought of saying no to her churned my insides. I loved the fire and light in her eyes; I didn't want to diminish them. But I was at the top of the hunters' wanted list. If she got involved with my mess, how would she face her family and friends?

Hazel nudged her hand forward again. Before I knew it, I told myself that I was helping her get over her first kill. And we weren't getting close; she liked someone else. I linked my pinkie with hers. "I promise I'll be there when you kill whoever it is that messed your life up."