1: Before they depart

(Cover was made by RaeCain219)

"Do you really have to leave?" Mel asked as she hugged Robert and William, they had been her friends since well birth. She didn't have the best heart so it caused her to breathe in and out uneasy shaky breaths, since her heart would go from calm too, quote on quote from her doctor, oh dang girl that fast, she had to have a breathing tank with her everywhere since her breathing would mess with her lungs.

"We'll be back," a Gandalf sounding Robert told her.

"Yeah don't worry Melon, we'll be back for the transplant," William assured her using Mel's nickname Melon to make her smile a bit.

But they could see the worry on her lips as she smiled, Mel had to get a heart transplant soon since her heart had pretty much given up on her. They had found a donner for her quickly and the surgery was scheduled for next month, she knew they wouldn't make it there since they would be in the Army training boot camps, she still smiled at them.

"Mhm, right, ok, well I'm going to miss ya, Lennox," Mel had always called the boys by their last names since she thought Epps and Lennox were cooler than Robert and William. But when she called them by their first well they would do anything to make her not mad at them and if they couldn't, well let's just say they were trained well in the art of hiding and running for their lives.

"What about me?!" A bad acting sound that Epps had made that was meant to be sad asked as he placed a hand on his chest dramatically.

"I'm going to miss you too Epps~samma," Mel batted her eyelashes as she said this making blood rush to Epps' cheeks and a tinge *cough* a lot *cough* of jealousy to consume Lennox.

Both boys loved Mel with all their hearts and both were in a constant battle for her love and attention. Anything she did like add samma to the end of their last names or do anything cute, would make them blush and fall in love again and again. Even when they were kids they were in love with her, the their Mom thought it was adorable, the Dads went with it under the influence of their wives glares.

Mel's parents left her on the step of an orphanage with a tag that said her name but was ripped so it said Mel instead. She had a birthmark on her arm of a robot face, she never knew her parents but none the less wanted to make them proud.

When Mel started having heart problems she panicked and the boys were the only ones who could calm her down. They were terrified for her, so when she was calm they made a pact that if Mel ever married ether one of them or a different guy they would stay by her side, not fight and still be friends.

"Now go my boys, the plane awaits you, go now and save the world from aliens," Mel pushed them a little making them laugh.

"Yes dear," both boys said in unison as the left for the plane, but not with out pecking her cheeks.

________________________________________________

A month had passed and Mel was in the hospital nervously waiting for the nurse to come in telling her she was about to be put under.

The nurse came in however with a laptop of all things, she placed it in front of Mel before taking the sheet of fabric off the screen so Mel could see her boys smiling sweetly at her.

"Hey hon," They waved at her she waved quickly back knowing she wouldn't have much time to talk to them since Army and Surgery wait for no man.

"Hey, I wasn't expecting this, I was expecting the nurse to tell me the doc was ready to rip my heart out like those old dramatic movies do," Sarcastic Mel told them making laughter erupted from them and anyone else who was around.

"Hopefully not, because we still need you," Epps said before thinking, "and your waffles we need your waffles, send them."

"Send them. Army food doesn't taste good, send them," Lennox told her sternly knowing she can't laugh Lennox when he says things so sternly while making faces.

"Ok. Ok, I'll send them don't worry maybe I'll add in my famous cookies," Mel soon got rapid nods from the boys.

They talked for five more minutes before Mel had to go into surgery. She gave a nod and was put under before being wheeled off to her hope, unknowing about the conversation happening states from her.

"Melon's gonna survive," Lennox told to no one in particular, sounding unsure as he said this trying to be positive. Epps nodded already praying for hope it would help her out a bit.

"Don't worry about her boys you will see her by Christmas if you work hard, and she looks like a fighter she'll make it I bet my life on it," Captain Rogers told them a smile gracing his lips, "do you think I could use," he didn't need to finish his sentence before Epps got out of the seat knowing that Captain Rogers would wanna speak to his girl back home.

Sargent Bucky came running into the room, "I didn't miss calling Peggy did I Steve?"

"No Buck, I just called," Captain Rogers told him laughing at the sight of Bucky's considered and panicked face that relaxed when he said this.

Epps and Lennox took this moment to leave, smiles on their faces.

________________________________________________

The boys took what Captain Rogers had told them and made it to the top of their class so they were able to go home for Christmas, where waffles and cookies awaited them.

Mel had had a successful heart transplant meaning she could make jokes like the doc stole my heart, and, I wonder if my old heart is jealous. She made light of the situation with jokes, and somehow the boys by the end of the night had talked her into making a YouTube Chanel for covers.

Life was good, but not for long.