Chapter 10

"So you do eat, then?" I asked Daniel after his admission that his priorities were the same as a dog's.

"Of course," he responded, seeming shocked that I would ask such a question.

Feeling defensive, I reminded him, "Well, you don't sleep."

"True," he admitted. "But I love to eat, almost as much as I love you."

I sucked in a deep breath at his words. Did this glorious being just say that he loved me?!?

Looking sheepish, Daniel mumbled, "I probably jumped the gun a little by revealing that so soon."

It was soon. I had just met him, but he had known me for my entire life. The realization that he knew everything there was to know about me, and still loved me, was thrilling. The idea that this nearly-perfect deity could have true feelings for ordinary me was intoxicating.

"It's okay." My voice sounded croaky again. I looked down at the covers on my lap, embarrassed and excited to be discussing romantic feelings with the enigma sitting at my side.

"Okay?!?" Daniel sounded peeved. "It's OKAY that I love you? I think you mean it's the most marvelous, magnificent, and wonderful news you could have imagined." I looked up into his face, concerned that I had made him furious with my less-than-enthusiastic reaction to his revelation. The smile he was beaming down at me let me know that he wasn't truly angry.

"You're right. It's absolutely splendid," I agreed, grinning right back at him. "And guess what the truly crazy part is... I have already developed strong feelings for you."

"What's crazy about that? I'm an utterly lovable fellow." Daniel deadpanned.

"Yes, you are," I couldn't help agreeing with him again. Adding to my praise, I said, "I don't ever want to live another day of my life without you visible by my side."

The shift in Daniel's expression was immediate. He quickly tried to cover the look that had been a mixture of concern, pain, and dread, but I saw it and wondered what it meant. The feeling of foreboding almost overwhelmed me, but like Daniel, I put on a brave face, and tried to pretend like everything was fine.

When he finally spoke, he said, "Spending every day out in the open with you would be a dream come true." Something about the way he worded it let me know that my bright version of the future was not destined to happen. Daniel knew something that he wasn't telling me.

I hate secrets, and he must know that, so for him to keep one from me, it must be something I'm really not going to like. It was tempting to demand that he tell me what he knows about our future, but I'm not quite ready to give up the happy little bubble of solitude we have created for ourselves. I suppose the truth will come out soon enough.

    ***If you don't want to waitto read more, the entire book is available as a FREE download! Get it at yourfavorite ebook vendor HERE: https://www.books2read.com/u/38gzJ6