"When we are tired, we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago."

DATE PUBLISHED: MARCH 10, 2018

AN: First of all, thank you for 1.2K views! I had no idea my story would reach out to so many people. I was going to update last weekend, but I hit some major writer's block. I keep up with all the Tyrus stories on Wattpad and they're all so good! One, I believe is Surprising Love, inspired me for this chapter.

This chapter will focus on the Kippens, and it's shorter than normal. A shocking revelation that TJ remembers will majorly impact the family.

All bold text represents flashback moments. All bold and italics text is an AN. All italics text is either for emphasis or for TJ's ending thoughts. Normal text is the story.

It's been a month since we found out Cami was injured. There has been no news and it frustrates me to know end. Not knowing how my sister's doing hurts so much. We all wait hopelessly for a sign, any sign.

School's been interesting. Cyrus and I are sort of... out. We're still not dating, but we've kissed several times and gone on a few outings. I find the whole taking it slow concept endearing, since I'm learning a lot about this adorable guy I call my crush.

Jonah and Andi are an interesting pair. Before I left the bar mitzvah, I found Jonah in a state of a panic attack. I called one of Cyrus' dads to help him. Now he's trying to get Andi back, but she's moved on. Walker and Andi have really hit it off.

Buffy and I are sort of okay, I suppose. Cy encouraged me to confide in her about Cam. But there's still tensions between us. The smallest thing can set her off.

Today, the five of us are at The Spoon. Andi and Walker are laughing at each other's jokes, Cyrus is downing baby taters like there's no tomorrow, and Buffy is either doing homework or working on something. I don't know.

Suddenly her phone bleeps and she turns to read whatever message she got. Her eyes widen and she gasps, "Mom says that they have to send her back. She's got to replace someone overseas."

"Buffy, it'll be fine," I try to reassure.

Her eyes narrow, "What the hell do you know? Your sister's been deployed for a few years, my mom's been deployed my whole life! Honestly, knowing you, you probably were the reason for her choosing to go into the military!"

Thunder. Pouring Rain. Screams. That is all I can hear as I leave The Spoon with Buffy's words and walk home. I make it to my bed when I finally collapse.

It was raining for hours at home. I was in my bedroom trying to ignore it until I heard the thunder, when I ran downstairs. It must have been about 1 AM, and Cami wasn't home yet. I was in the kitchen reading a book when I heard the door slam.

"Camilla Jane Kippen! Why were you out so late?" Dad thunders.

Cami's voice quivers in a way I never heard it before, "I went to the doctor's, Dad. I went on a walk afterwards and I lost track of time."

"Why the hell were you at the doctor's?" Mom asks.

"I have to tell you something. I'm...I'm pregnant," Cam says and she bursts into sobs.

"Camilla Jane! You are only 17!"

"I... I know," she whimpers.

"Was it that Matthew boy?"

She nods. I hear a sharp slap, "We told you to stay away from him!"

Dad has never hit either of us before...

"I love him, Dad!" she protests.

"He got you pregnant! That's enough to keep him away from you forever! He will leave you!" Dad says and is about to hit her again when I run into the room and stand in front of her.

"DON'T HIT HER DAD!" I yell and the slap about to hit Cami, hits me instead.

The force for me, only eight years old then, was just too much. It causes me to collapse and hit my head on the ground.

Nearly unconscious, I hear a second thud next to me. Mom screams, "She's losing the baby! Get them both to the hospital, Jacob!"

Retrograde amnesia caused by trauma, loss of three months of my life. In another room, a miscarriage. 4 lives changed forever.