"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."

DATE PUBLISHED: MAY 27, 2018

A.N: Hey guys! This chapter will again be in TJ's POV. Most likely the POV's will alternate between the two every other chapter. Please let me know if there're any other POV's you want to see!

I updated the cast list. Now it should have everyone from the past and future.

Also, I'm not a Cavs fan. Sorry to anyone reading this story that is!

Our last game before the All Star Break happened just hours ago, solidifying our position as second in the league. We creamed the Cavaliers, 120-93. Personally, that team went sour once Lebron James retired from basketball a while back. 'Til then, the Cavs and the Warriors were running the league. At least there's some diversity in the teams that play in the Finals now. I don't think the Cavs have made it past the division finals in three years.

Anyways, I'm home for the first time in about a week due to a road trip. Unfortunately, J's got this big music deal that him and the Keaton kids are working out, and he's been pulling several all nighters. He left me mouthwatering pasta and a glass of champagne to celebrate my victory, promising he'll call soon.

I shower and prepare to settle in for the night. However, something's been on my mind for the last few days, and it isn't the game or Jax. It's been a few years since I even thought about it, but matters have pressed on. Doesn't help that the team manager wants us to write of something that lead to our present lives to share with the team to tighten the bond. 

My past haunts me. I must relive said past. 

I pick up a pen, my lucky pen. It's the one I used when I signed with the Knicks. I've only used it for situations I've been uncomfortable in, just like this one, to bring some sort of courage.

I suppose everything started when the whole Yanny v. Laurel business came about...

Just kidding. Although that was a conversation we had only a few days before the day where things began. By then, the exes, also known as Iris and Jonah, as well as Amber, had joined. I figured they were on good terms, but I didn't know why Amber joined us. Cyrus knew, but he never told me. Iris, Walker, and I consistently heard Yanny. Jonah, Cyrus, and Andi all heard Laurel. Buffy and Amber heard both and consistently adhered to the fact that it's related to pitch.

At some point of the argument, my wishes about seeing my sister again returned to light. I don't know why I was so insistent about it then. I certainly do not care at this point in my life.

But the day does come, in the form of a pep rally for the final basketball game of the season. We had a great record, and it was pivotal to win. Grant's team's coaches were scouting for prospective players that would bring great victories to the team. I wanted to be one of those players, obviously.

After a routine from the dance team, Dr. Metcalf, the principal, appears on stage. He begins to speak, "Many of you are graduating this year. You will be moving on to bigger and better things, in high school. During your high school careers, the question will arise: What will you do with your lives? This is a question I have asked at every single middle school I have worked at as principal. For the first time, we are fortunate enough to have someone who was willing to come and speak to us. In fact, she's related to one of the people in this very room. Please welcome, temporarily discharged from her nearly four year service in the military, Camilla Jane Wagner!"

I remember not registering the words for a moment until she comes out onstage. Cami was back. I remember running into her arms crying my heart out. I remember the people in the room giving a standing ovation. It was an amazing day for me then. I remember Metcalf smiling and ushering me backstage so I can wait for her to finish the speech.

After that rally, Camilla hugs me tight. Her arm is wrapped in a cast, but she's okay. In the most sincere voice I'd ever hear from her, she speaks, "It's so good to see you after so long, Terry!"

"You have no idea how glad I am to see you here, Cami. How'd you get discharged?"

"Well, my injuries were all treated and nearly healed when I get a summons from the Lieutenant in charge of my unit. Turns out, your teammate Buffy's mother was my Lieutenant. Your friends here convinced her mother to let me come back for a few months."

"Since when was your last name Wagner?" I ask, remembering that small detail. This would only be a start of the problems that would occur with her.

"Since I got married. Only a few months ago, before I was injured. His name is William. He's a wonderful man. His father served and he followed him. He went to this school called Avalon High. We had quite a time getting to know each other. We've been dating for years. No, Mom and Dad didn't know. We planned on getting re-hitched here once both of us had a few years off service."

"Well, no matter what, I am so glad to have you back," I smile.

Around me then stood Cyrus, Jonah, Andi, and Buffy. I thank all of them before turning to Cyrus, "You planned this."

"I wanted you to be happy-" he says, beginning to ramble. However, I interrupt him with a kiss.

"I know we agreed to be just friends or something like that, but I really like you. You've made me happier than I've been for a long time. You recognized how I was hurting and moved mountains to help me. I don't want to just be friends anymore. Cyrus, will you be my boyfriend?"

"Yes," he responds before kissing me.

The major parts of my life began that day... right when Cyrus and I made it official.