Chapter Four

"I want to see a movie," Marisa announced.

I raised a brow, not knowing if she was talking to me or Dane. Either way, we both stayed quiet until she spoke again, which we knew was going to happen.

"No. Seriously." She sat down on the couch beside me, not, I noted, her husband. "I think we should go out tonight to the movies. All three of us."

I sucked in a breath. There was no way I was sitting in a dark theater room with Marisa and Dane. Unlike me, when on a movie date, my sister was the kinda girl to make out the whole time; not to see the movie. Can you say awkward much? No. No, wait—take that back. No way in hell!

"Sure," Dane said tightly. "What, uh, do you wanna see?"

I noted he didn’t ask for my movie preference. It was probably smart, though. A wise war tactic. Things were still….tense around Marisa the Grudge Holder and Dane the Stubborn No Town House Dude. They only argued about it more and it got pretty ugly at times, as my sister was a notorious screamer. I was just basking in that the little princess wasn’t getting her own way, and I prayed Dane stayed firm and wouldn’t give in. Poetic justice.

Marisa stated her top three choices and had Dane and I narrow them down—which basically meant we both said "I’m cool with whatever" and Marisa getting her way into seeing a chick flick.

"I’m gonna go on Fandango and buy the tickets!" She hopped off the couch, all chipper.

I sat there and stared at the TV screen, seriously contemplating my death. It would be so easy. I could take my pick! There were so many new and creative ways of killing yourself these days! Of course I was old fashioned and was partial to the old jumping off of a really high cliff.

"She is planning something," I muttered.

Dane looked at me, surprised. "You think?"

I nodded, more sure by the second. "Oh yeah. Definitely. I don’t know what, but she’s planning something."

"You don’t think maybe she just wants to actually go out and watch a movie?"

I laughed sardonically, slapping his knee. "Oh, Dane! I envy your ignorance!"

Dane eyed my hand, which still rested on his leg.

Flushing like mad, I pulled my hand back. I tried to shake it off with a snicker, but it came out all nervous and girly sounding. I stood up quickly. "I gotta pee."

It wasn’t until that I was down the hall that I smacked my head against the wall. Lame, lame, lame! For a while, I thought maybe Dane was slowly becoming my friend again. I figured we could be close in-laws, you know? No need for him to know the torch I carried for my wedded man.

It lasted a whole three days, though. And while I had probably just ruined everything by a stupid gesture, it had been three really amazing days. The thought of him going back to completely ignoring me made me desperate in a way I had never been before. I was absolutely desperate for him to talk to me, just one word. I would take anything.

When had I turned into this clingy girl pining for her sister’s husband? Whatever happened to hating him? Oh, yeah. It’s impossible!

I knew it was wrong, I knew. I was trying hard not to think about him in the ways I knew I shouldn’t be thinking about him. And yet….I still thought about him. All the time. He pretty much invaded my privacy. Followed me around everywhere I went, stayed in my head, haunted me in my dreams. It was torture. And yet I couldn’t seem to just let him go.

There was a knock on my door not ten seconds after I’d collapsed on my bed.

Face buried in my pillow, I mumbled, "Come in."