Chapter Eight

I waited days for him to break it off with Marisa. The crazy thing was I totally had thought he would. But the days only grew longer and nothing abnormal happened around the Turner household. I was starting lose hope and faith in him…..and what little trust I had was dwindling as well.

I just didn’t see what the big deal was. Why couldn’t he just tell me? Was he still using? Sometimes I just couldn’t bear to think the thoughts just below the surface of my ever churning mind. As a kid I had always been creative. Now that creativity was coming into play with a thousand different scenarios as to why Dane wouldn’t tell me the truth.

All I knew was that if he still didn’t tell her I would; and not out of desperation to get him back, because in telling her I would lose him forever. There wasn’t much in life that Marisa deserved. She didn’t deserve me and Dane going behind her back, and she did deserve to know about it; even though it was going to kill her.

Don’t get me wrong, I was in no hurry to start that feud. It would be some time yet before Marisa knew the truth. And, deep down, I was hoping I would come out of it semi happy. Like, for instance, if I never had to tell Marisa, but Dane did……

Silly romantic! Why did I continue to have such blind faith in the man who was always going to be hurting me? Why didn’t Dane want to leave Marisa immediately for me? Why hadn’t I fought for him when I’d had the chance? Why, why, why, why!

My mind had been tormented, once again, for days. The years where my brain was just humming happily to the rhythm of the world was becoming a distant memory. All I knew was misery and melancholy.

I had woken up that morning realizing that I had to talk to Marisa; just in general, not about the important stuff. I had been locking myself in my room for days and it was time for me to come out of my shell.

But as soon as I got to her door, I knew I wouldn’t be invited. At first I thought Dane was talking to her, what with his voice all low and everything. But then there were pauses in his conversation and I realized he was on the phone.

"I can’t meet you right now. Marisa won’t let me outta her sight," he muttered. "What do you got for me?" He paused and then chuckled. "That’s my girl. Keep up the allure of mysteriousness, or however that saying goes. Listen, as much as I love chatting it up to you, I can’t talk very freely right now. I’ll call you back when we can meet, okay? Hey, be safe. I would hate to lose you." He chuckled again.

I pretty much bolted downstairs right after that, my heart hammering. Did….did Dane have another other woman? I didn’t wanna jump to conclusions, but that’s what it had sounded like. Maybe it was just his mother…..Ugh. No. Dane’s mom had passed away when he was thirteen. Stupid, Emmy!

What a liar! How could he look me in the eyes and say he loved me? Marisa wasn’t the only sucker. I was, too. Maybe this whole thing was just a sick, twisted con. My parents were well to do, after all, and Lord knew Marisa kept the money coming in for herself.

I honestly didn’t know what to think of it. He could have another girlfriend or he couldn’t. I wasn’t usually one to jump to conclusions, but…..God, what else could it be? He didn’t have a sister and he’d already said he wasn’t close with his family, as few members had shown up for the wedding. What else could it be?

Ugh! I couldn’t take this! I had to talk to somebody! Lord knew it couldn’t be anyone in my house! Even Len, who already knew I was in love with Dane, didn’t know that I’d actually slept with the man more than once. I was so afraid of what he would say to me, and what he would say to Marisa.

I had to talk to Denise.

Against my fair judgment that I was panicking, I waited a full hour before calling my friend. She was supposed to be getting back from Greece today. It was the weirdest thing, her being gone so long. She was only supposed to stay for spring break, which lasted a week. But now it was nearing summer break.