Chapter 28: Remedial Classes

Chapter 28:

"Luke, will you tell me the answer to number 24?" I glanced up to see Mr. De Leon looking at me expectantly. I looked around to see Calum staring at me lazily. Oh yeah, I remember. I'm in Math class and we're in the middle of checking our homework.

I stared at the board and saw a formula and did mental computation in my head. "It's two thirds and one fourth" Phew, thanks mum for always tutoring me in math.

Mr. De Leon narrowed his eyes at me, "That's right, Luke" then he turned his back and wrote my answer on the board.

"Nice save, man" Calum high fived me.

"Thanks. How many more minutes till this is over?" I asked, stifling a yawn.

Calum glanced at the class' wall clock, "Just six more minutes."

I groaned. This has got to be the longest day of the year. I swear waking up this morning but that felt like just a week ago.

"Hey, wanna ditch PE later?" Calum asked me too loudly. Fortunately, Mr. De Leon was too busy interrogating a student.

"But don't we have that thing?" I replied his question with a question. That 'thing' I was talking about was the remedial classes students who have failing marks have to attend. Unfortunately for Calum and I, we both have remedial classes.

"Oh shit, we do" Calum facepalmed himself. Then he was quiet for a minute. "We'll come  back right after PE, let's just skip PE please"

I sighed. I don't like PE too anyway. "Fine"

...........................

It was only a Wednesday and I'm feeling drained already. Probably cause of the song writing Cal and I have been doing these past few days. That's why he has to take remedial classes in Science. He flunked his test so bad he needs to take it. I, on the other hand, have remedial classes because of History. Surprise, surprise. I don't think Mr. Spier can see that there is no way I could pass his test or his subject. It's just too damn hard!

"What are you thinking about?" I snapped back to reality when I heard Michael spoke up. He was sitting across from me, sloppily eating his nachos.

"School," I replied as I pick up my fork to eat my mac and cheese.

Ashton guffawed the second I said school. He guffawed so loud the nearby tables started staring and glaring at us.

"Shut it, Ash. People are staring." Michael hissed feeling embarrassed himself.

"S-sorry, did I hear you right, Luke? School?" he said in between his laughs.

"Yeah, school" I replied nonchalantly, in no mood to retaliate or explain myself.

Finally Ashton calmed down then Michael spoke up, "Remedial classes?"

I nodded and poked my mac and cheese. Even food can't cheer me up.

"It's not so bad Luke, it's just remedial. You won't have to see each other five times a week. Your remedial classes are twice a week only!" Ashton reminded me. We already got the news of my remedial classes last week but I never paid any attention to it until now because my remedial classes are on Thursdays and Fridays.

"Yeah and remedial classes aren't like a class, it's like a study session with a bunch of people like you," Michael added.

"And no teachers, that's the best part. Remedial classes are taught by a fellow student whose grade in that subject is superior." Ashton elaborated.

"How do you guys know all of this?" I demanded. Ashton and Michael doesn't have remedial classes and they love to rub it in my and Calum's face.

"I got remedial classes last year for English but I was so good they have to let me go," Michael said, thumping on his chest.