Prologue

You know that moment, the one when you realize what type of person you want to be in life? Yeah, me neither. I've been trying to figure out who I am from the day I started walking. Yet here I am, sitting in an interrogation room with blood running down my face, wondering how the fuck my life got so turned around.

The door opened and I turned my head to the side to watch as a man in a nice shirt walk in with a brown file in his hands. He sat down in front of me with a blank stare on his face. He took in a deep breath and opened his mouth to talk.

"Miss. Copeland, I am Detective Valdez. Do you know why you are here?" The man asked.

My right eye twitched. "Yeah."

"One of two things are going to happen right now. One, you can write down your confession on this piece of paper," said the Detective as he pushed a legal pad towards me. "Or, you can tell me everything that happened and where he is."

I took the pen from his hand and tapped it on the legal pad. The throbbing in my head made me grit my teeth and tighten my grip on the pen. Once it settled, I pushed the pad away and looked at him with a small nod. A quick smirk appeared on his face before disappearing. He opened the file and turned it towards me. Inside was a mugshot of him.

"Tell me what happened."

"It wasn't my fault." I whispered as I looked at him with pain. "It wasn't my fault."

*******