Chapter I

"Azaria Copeland." said the announcer.

My whole family and I stood up and hollered for Azaria as she walked on the stage at Seaman High School to collect her diploma. After she shook her teachers' and principals' hands, and collected her diploma, she turned to look up at us in the bleachers. With a quick movement, she flipped us off and walked off the stage. I snickered and rolled my eyes. Forty-five minutes passed before we could actually go down and greet our family members.

I opened my arms and wrapped them around my little sister as she jumped into my arms with a laugh. I shook her back and forth before letting her stand again. I shook my head with amusement.

"I can't believe they let you graduate!" I joked, laughing as she punched me in the shoulder.

"I hate you El." Azaria laughed with a cold look.

"Oh you know you love me, that's just how it is." I giggled.

Mom walked over with her boyfriend, Stephen, behind her. I felt Azaria tense up beside and I watched  painted a smile on her face. Mom hugged her giddily, swinging her side to side.

"Hi Momma! Uh, hello Stephen, thank you for coming." She said hesitantly.

Mom hugged Stephen, who smiled at Azaria. "Of course honey, we wouldn't miss it!" Mom chuckled.

I could see how uncomfortable Azaria was, so I quickly cut in. "Hey, don't we have reservations at Red Robin?"

Azaria lit up at the mention of her favorite restaurant. We all left in Mom's Ford, quickly arriving at Red Robin. Once we all arrived, we quickly got our food and sat celebrating with other relatives. Eventually, one by one, everyone left to go home. Mom drove me to the bus stop and I hugged everyone goodbye, saving Azaria for last.

"Do you have to go back to Denver so soon?" She whispered.

I hugged her tighter. "Yeah, I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer, I'll visit you soon, okay? I've got to get back to Jay and Oscar. You know how they get when I leave them alone for too long."

Azaria laughed. "You and you're cats are crazy."

The bus driver called out for me one last time, so I quickly kissed her on the head and boarded, waving at everyone as we drove off. Rain splashed on the windows, expressing my sad feelings oh so perfectly. Leaning my head against the window, I set an alarm on my phone for seven hours, then slowly fell asleep.

"-rl is a real crowd pleaser, Small world, all her friends know me, Young bull livin' like an old geezer-" My alarm blasting through my headphones sent me shooting up, hitting the front seat with my head.

An old woman across the row scoffed at me, making my cheeks flare red. "Next Stop, Cherokee Street and West 13th Avenue."

I got my bag ready and held on to the seat in front of me as the bus coasted to a stop. Standing up, I made my way down the aisle and tipped the driver before stepping out onto the street. As I began walking to my apartment, I heard a loud banging noise in an alley. Yes, I've read books about bad things occuring in alleys, but I couldn't help it. What if it was a litter of kittens?

Walking around the corner, I stopped short when I saw one man lunge at another, forcing him to the ground. I watched in shock as the one man on top pulled out something from his pocket. A glint of metal hit the light and I gasped as I realised that it was a knife. I dropped my bag when the man plunged the knife down into the other man, making his head shoot up. His face caught the light as he looked at me. I grabbed my bag and sprinted down the street, across the road and to my apartment building where I quickly unlocked the door and climbed three flights of stairs to my room.

Locking myself in my apartment, I used the deadbolt and slid down the wall. Tears fell down my face and my whole body was shaking. I heard footsteps on the other side of the door and I held my breath, reaching up and turning the lights off as I froze. Another door opened and closed and I let out a shaky sigh of relief. Putting my head in my hands, I continued to sob. Every little crash sent me into another round of sobs.

Eventually I was able to crawl to my bedroom, where I locked the door before grabbing my blankets and pillows and hiding in the closet. Hours passed with me lying awake in the closet, praying that the deranged man wouldn't find me. Hitting my head against the wall, I stared up at the top of the ceiling through my clothes. What the hell did I get myself into?