Chapter XV

"Jesus Elouise! Stop throwing up already! This pregnancy shit is already getting old. We only figured this out five weeks ago. How can you be so nauseous already?" Myles scolded, watching me hunch over the toilet bowl for the third time today.

"Well maybe-cough-if you didn't always order such disgustingly smelly food, I wouldn't always-cough-need to spew my guts out." I growled, sending a glare his way.

Myles laughed at my audacity. "I guess that would be my bad."

I flushed the toilet and cleaned out my mouth, walking back into the room. Myles had thrown out the indian food after my reaction. I sat back down next to him, letting him pull me closer. I smiled briefly at the comfort he gave my body before listening to him talk again.

"My plan is coming along well. It's finally time to head back home to Denver. Our time in New Mexico is over. It's been fun though, moving across the states, slaughtering those seven people." He said, gripping my arm painfully tight.

I hummed in response, looking up at him. He stood up, letting me stay on the bed. He motioned for me to roll over. Myles walked off into the kitchen area. When he returned, Myles pulled up my shirt and pushed a cool metal utensil against my skin. I winced in pain as the blade pushed into my skin, drawing blood. He pushed deeper and began cutting with specific movements, seeming to create a design or letter into my skin. No words of protest came to my lips. I'd learned weeks ago to shut up and take the pain, but that didn't stop me from squeezing my eyes shut to stop the tears.

When he was finished, my back stung with pain and blood had pooled in my mouth from me biting my lip. Myles picked up his phone and took a picture of my back. He then proceeded to dress my wounds, bandaging me up, but refusing to give me pain medicine. Myles stood up, helping me to sit up more comfortably with pillows under my back. He held out his phone, allowing me to see what he had carved into my previously smooth skin. I raised my eyebrow as I read the four letters. M I N E.

"Cheesy." I mused, eliciting a wink from him.

"They've been getting closer with each murder." He acknowledged as a strange look came across his face. "We're getting close to the very end of our journey my love. They're going to catch onto the next murder, and that's the plan."

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. "You want this to end?"

He smiled. "Of course not darling, but it's inevitable. I plan to go out with a bang. So I took you, in order to get their attention. I planned to kill you after a few days, but I've had too much fun with you alive." Myles moved to sit next to me again. "So, if you get caught during the next kill, this is what I want you to do..."

*******

Myles's words echoed in my skull, confusing me. Why would the Feds catch us now? I moved uncomfortably in the seat. The wounds on my back from two days ago still hurt, but that's to be expected. Where the hell is he? Myles had gone off into the grocery store to find a new victim fifteen minutes ago. Curiosity and worry getting the best of me, I pulled myself out of the car, hobbling into the store. Everything seemed normal. I walked around, looking for Myles.

I felt as if I was being watched, but every time I turned to look for the owner of the eyes, I came up blank. I turned the corner to the bathrooms, thinking he would be there, and that's where I noticed the red substance subtly splattered on the floor outside the family restroom. I made my way to it, slowly pushing the door open. I was greeted by the sight of a middle-aged woman, stabbed to death upon the toilet, positioned with her hands crossed against her chest and a smile, held by tape, on her cheeks.

I grunted slightly, still disgusted by the sight, and went to turn around. A body slammed into mine, pushing me to the floor. I let out a yelp as my stitches tore. My eyesight was blocked by the cold ground against my cheek. A wet sticky substance formed on my brow, making me cringe. I heard people yelling out the words 'FBI', 'FREEZE' and 'YOU'RE UNDER ARREST'. I couldn't help but smile to myself. Myles was right, they did find us, and by the looks of it... this was a trap.

I was hauled to my feet, handcuffed and pushed out the door. I glanced at each face, noticing but not recognizing. Their glares held disgust and rage. I was pushed forward to the main building. As we began walking, I got the strong urge to look up towards the ceiling. I did so, looking up and towards the air vents. I saw a light flash, telling me that he was still here. Sneaky bastard.

I was pushed into the back of a cruiser, cut off from the commotion. After being strapped in, the door shut and another person got into the driver's seat. We pulled off without warning. The ride was silent, and flew by. Soon I was in an interrogation room with new stitches after a paramedic checked me out.

The door opened and I turned my head to the side to watch as a man in a nice shirt walk in with a brown file in his hands. He sat down in front of me with a blank stare on his face. He took in a deep breath and opened his mouth to talk.

"Miss. Copeland, I am Special Agent Wilson Valdez with the FBI. Do you know why you are here?" The man asked.

My right eye twitched. "Yeah."

"One of two things are going to happen right now. One, you can write down your confession on this piece of paper," said Agent Valdez as he pushed a legal pad towards me. "Or, you can tell me everything that happened and where he is."

I took the pen from his hand and tapped it on the legal pad. The throbbing in my head made me grit my teeth and tighten my grip on the pen. Once it settled, I pushed the pad away and looked at him with a small nod. A quick smirk appeared on his face before disappearing. He opened the file and turned it towards me. Inside was a mugshot of him.

"Tell me what happened."

"It wasn't my fault." I whispered as I looked at him with pain. "It wasn't my fault."

Wilson's eyes softened for a millisecond before hardening again. He had some sympathy for me, just like Myles said he would. I told my story, leaving out some details such as my unexpected pregnancy. Wilson looked startled at the details I gave him. He had honestly thought that I had willingly come into this.

"Miss. Copeland, Elouise. I need you to tell me where he's going. We can stop him, we just need to work together. Help me end him." He whispered softly, changing his angle.

A tear fell down my face. This is it, I have to do this. I took a deep, shaky breath before looking back up at him. I moved my hands to my arms in a defensive manner. Alright then. There's no turning back now.

"H-He said that he wants to end it where we started our journey." I whimpered.

Understanding dawned on him. Wilson turned to look at the one-way mirror. "Denver." He declared.

Wilson picked up his files, looking at me sadly. "I truly am sorry that this happened to you, Elouise."

He left the room, leaving me alone. I did it Myles. The rest is up to you.