Isabelle-I will always love you

Prompts: 1. "I can't do this." // 2. "It was real. It was real to me." // 25. "I will always love you."

Isabelle's pov:

     "I'm so sorry, Isabelle. It's not what it looks like. Please." My girlfriend and Clary plead with me, grabbing at my calves, desperation in their eyes. 

     "I cannot believe what I just witnessed. I am so --- UGH-- done. Happy freaking birthday to me, huh? You know what? I can't do this." My chest forced from me a bitter cough as I shook them off my red soled heels. 

     "Please, let me explain. Isabelle, please." Clary grabbed onto my bicep, tears streaming down her face and her mascara along with it.

     I looked back at the two of them. My blood boiled as I relived the events, my eyelids falling heavy to shield me from the pain they had wrought. Portions of their bodies were bare, from ripping those clothes off of each other moments earlier. Thinking I was going to greet my girlfriend waiting for me after training, I actually walked in and saw Clary straddling Y/n, their lips locked together. They had no coverage on their upper halves, their hands roaming the lower halves of each other. Y/n had on a set of lingerie she bought for my birthday in my favorite color, and Clary had her hand moving south along Y/n's body.  When my shriek of horror met their ears they pulled away, those pairs of eyes meeting the doorway widened. I watched the phases of expressions that spread across their faces and I was able to peer into their minds as well as their thoughts. It was first surprise from the sudden noise, confusion as to why I was standing there, then realization struck them hard. 

     "I will grant you three minutes. And I don't even owe you that courtesy." I spat out between gritted teeth, shrugging loose from Clary's grip on me and pushing past her to sit on a large wooden bench. It felt cold against my bare skin, cold like the way I was treating my greatest loves at the moment. 

     "Okay, I didn't know it wasn't you. Honestly, Isabelle. She looked just like you and she sounded like you. I thought you had come down from training and-and that you were meeting me like we said we would. I was waiting for you in the.. the outfit I was going to surprise you in, for your birthday. Sh-she tricked me! She waltzed in and called me princesa, which only you call me. So I thought it was you. She kissed me and it felt a bit.. off. But I went along with it. I really didn't know, mi amor. She must have used a glamour or something. Please believe me." Her mascara was running too, those red stained lips were trembling and smudged, streaking her chin. My eyes flicked to Clary's fearful green ones.

     "You put a glamour on yourself to seduce my girlfriend? Are you serious? What, toying with Jace, Alec, and Simon wasn't enough? You just had to mess with me too." I shook my head in disbelief, my heels clicking against the tile as I began to pace the hallway. Clary opened her mouth to speak, but her jaw snapped shut when nothing but air passed between those lips that were now stained as well.

     "Y/n, I think we need to break up." My eyes focusing on the carvings in the wood above her head, not able to look her in the eye as the words left my mouth. Her jaw dropped as protests and apologies flooded from her mouth.

     "You're too vulnerable here in this world. You're a mundane. You can't see through glamours or really defend yourself against shadow hunters and downworlders. Plus, there is no way we would be allowed to be together in the long run. I would have to leave the shadow hunter world and my family completely behind to pursue a life with you." My eyes pooled with salty tears, but I blinked them away. "Unless you drink from the mortal cup and become a shadow hunter." I chuckled, the vibrations of my chest eventually drawing a sob as well.

     "So you knew you'd never be able to be with me long term. Why did you let it last this long? Let me get attached, let yourself get attached?" Her queries were met with no answers, the silence filled by sobs. "This was just a pastime, huh? Was any of it real to you?" My eyes snapped to hers,  words leaving me before I even register.

     "Of course it was. All of it. It was real. It was real to me. I will always love you, Y/n. I wish it didn't have to be this way, but it is the way it is. This world is hardened to true love. Rules are rules, made to be obeyed. I am so sorry my love. I am so deeply sorry I failed to give you what you deserve and love you the way you deserve to be loved." I envelop her in my arms, our arms clutching to each other for the last time and with every emotion rushing through our minds and bodies. My eyelids fluttered open and made contact with Clary's, her posture slack and awkward. She ran her hands down her sides, as if to comfort herself, knowing she would have to live knowing what she did. My lids hooded, pushing my face further into the crook of Y/n's neck, inhaling her beautiful and familiar scent. For the final time.