Chapter 3-Hyde park

Hyde park

People rode on horseback, cyclists sped by, joined by joggers enjoying the open air while many visitors strolled, soaking in the greenery through the 350 acre park nestled right in the middle of the city.  Jasmine and Sammy wandered close by the lake where groups of beautiful swans passed by them along the edge.  The trees were large and as green as the landscape while every once in a while, squirrels closely approached them to only dart quickly away as if playing a game.  Children laughed as they enjoyed feeding the little critters as they came up close to feed off of the peanuts provided them. 

"Henry the VIII used the park as a hunting ground sometime in the 1500's."  Jasmine informed him as they continued at a slow pace with her hand in the crook of his elbow.  The sun was warm and the day promised to be a scorching hot one that early afternoon as they moved along soaking in the the serenity and beauty it offered and admiring the landscape.  "During the 18th century duels took place here too.  Could you imagine noblemen with swords drawn ready to duel to the death over their honor?"  She continued. 

"I wouldn't mind a couple of gorgeous, rich hot men fighting over me."  He responded with a smile.  "I can just imagine women in big ass skirts, fans drawn and fluttering as they watched their men fight to the death."

"Men and women often courted here with their chaperones who oftentimes watched from a respectable distance.  Sometimes, I can imagine horse-drawn carriages–pretty ladies sitting beside their love interest–dressed in tight corsets and bonnets, laughing flirtatiously in hopes to gain the males attention and shackle him into marriage.  At least that's what I've read about in historical romances."  Jasmine revealed with a sigh as she looked on into the distance as they wandered beneath clusters of trees.

If one looked closely, wild parrots could be seen hiding in the thickly covered branches. 

"Don't tell me you're a bookworm like your sister."   Sammy didn't try to hide his mild annoyance.    "I swear on every Louboutin heels I own, it took me forever to get Camelia's nose out of a book and talk the first time we met."

Jasmine nudged his side playfully.  "Hey, reading is like vitamins for the brain.  I love a good book.  It enlightens ones perspective.  To live in another's life and experience firsthand their emotions is quite an experience. You should try it sometime, especially in the profession you've taken on, you'd be surprised how much in-depth information you can learn about people, their emotions, intentions. .  . "

"Honey, I'm years too late for that.  I went to school for God knows how long to learn about people and what goes on in their brain. Besides, I prefer a good magazine like VOGUE to exercise my brain. It teaches me about fashion, hair, and tons of make-up tips.  That's all the knowledge I need fill up on."  He replies with a lips and snapping his fingers three times in a zig zag.

Jasmine smiled.

"My mother encouraged us to read.  We have an entire library back at the mansion.  Some books date back to when we were children."

They stopped in front of the lake and stared at their reflections. 

"Damn don't I look fine."  Sammy mutters, smoothing out his hot pink blouse pairing it with distressed jeans. 

They both had their sun shades over their eyes as their reflections swam in and out of focus as ripples appeared across the water.  

Jasmine sighed having the urge to roll her eyes and stared at her own reflection dressed in a white cotton skirt and sleeveless electric blue silk shirt knotted at the middle of her waist.  Her customary high heels were replaced with kitty heels strapped at her ankles. Her hair was swept in a side braid and shone brightly in the sun. Her features swam in and out of focus–a cross between her mother's and father's.