Chapter 5-Zayn

Jasmine frowned, what did anything he said to her revolve around her brother Zayn? 

The little hairs on the nape of her neck rose.  "I'm afraid I do not understand.  What about him?"

"Trying to seduce you into my bed was my form of revenge against your so called brother.   Women in our country–in my society, especially the ones that have been well bred and come from high standing families, are expected to stay pure and marry into their husbands family untainted.  You see, he seduced my virgin sister and broke her heart in the process.   Her reputation is now ruined because of him.  He soiled her," he snarls, "he slept with her and left her pregnant." 

She placed an unsteady arm over her knotted stomach.  "Surely you're mistaken!"

He smiled grittily, "I'm afraid not. He goes around seducing women whenever it strikes his fancy."

Jasmine inhaled sharply.  It was true her brother was a player.  However he wasn't the type to make false promises.  Most girls knew the deal when they involved themselves with him.   As far as she understood both sides feelings were mutual regarding the one night stand arrangement.  But slipping up and getting a girl pregnant? There had to be a mistake. Zayn would never do such a thing. He was always, always careful. He valued his bachelor lifestyle above eating and breathing.  He wouldn't be stupid and slip like what Cristiano was describing. 

She refused to believe him.  He must be lying or his sister was lying to him.

Jasmine quickly regained some of her composure.  "I don't know your sister. Furthermore, making empty promises in exchange for sex does not sound like my brother.  Whatever happened between them must have been consensual.  It's obvious she was not forced," she inquired with a lifted eyebrow, "or she would be saying otherwise.  Perhaps some of us hold on to our virtues a little more strongly than others."

"He seduced her, coerced her!  She knows better! We are Italian!  We believe in bringing up a baby within a secure family unit.  She wouldn't have willing slept with him–

Jasmine holds up her hand to stop him. "That's where the true test lies.  Eve tempted Adam to eat with her from the forbidden tree.  Although he was instructed to eat freely from all the other trees in the garden expect one. Your sister had a choice like any other knowing the consequences.  Some of us abstain from weakness no matter how tempting it may be."

"You side with him?"  He was practically seething with rage, his body language changing instantly. Standing erect, hands at his sides and slightly behind him, Cristiano looked like a wolf ready to pounce.

The hot headed Italian man she witnessed was back. But somehow she knew he wouldn't hurt her.

"No," shaking her head in denial and staying calm, "women flock around Zayn, they are naturally attracted to him–that I will not deny. If what you're saying is true and they were intimate. . . I'm assuming from all this, your sister fell in love with him hoping he'd have a change of heart and shackle him into marriage once they slept together?"

Cristiano could only regard her with stone cold eyes. 

"I believe your sister conjured a fantasy in her head and ended vastly disappointed with the outcome. She should not have given herself to someone that way and at the same time I do not approve of my brother's actions. However, I think they are both at fault and she made a grave mistake."

"Yes, a mistake that has cost her her virtue and any chance of a future with another. He must do right by her! She is carrying his unborn child!"

"What if the child she carries is someone else's? Can she be sure? Do you really know your sister? Everybody has secrets. Just because she is your sibling doesn't mean she's innocent of curbing the truth to suit her needs." Jasmine states.  It was difficult for her to comprehend what was the truth and what was the lie.