Chapter 35-Heaven

He gazed at the woman he loved being strangled to death by a man atop her.  The very same employee he saw yesterday in the lobby.

Cristiano's bellow echoed throughout the halls of the penthouse suite.

"Got off of her!" He snarled lifting his gun and pointing it at his head.

It was near impossible to breathe as his lip curled and the gleam in his eyes became vicious.

The man lifted his head from Jasmine's still body, but he hadn't released her. A merciless smile courted his lips as an eyebrow quirked with amusement.

"You're too late."

Tension and fear thrummed through him as he took a step closer.

"I said let her go!"

He raised his gun but couldn't shoot him. Cristiano couldn't risk hurting Jasmine within such close proximity. His eyes latched on to Jasmine's form and focused on her chest searching for the rise and fall of her breathing. She wasn't moving. Still as death.

Sick panic roiled through him. 

"Yasmina!"

She remained perfectly still, her complexion waxy pale, ghostly pale.  Her lips were chalky, her honey stands matted, her clothing hanging in shreds on her body.  He fought back the turmoil that threatened to overwhelm him.  His stomach turned over with a combination of stark fear and helpless pain.  If he was too late–

He had to reach her side refusing to consider such a thing.   He had to act quickly.  She cannot die.

He forced his mind to fight back his terror to the far end of his brain and concentrated on his rage.  Grim, unrelenting determination filled him.  His blood quickly boiling and pulsating through him. The man released his hands from her body and snatched a knife from behind his back and stood.

The boys lips curled in a contemptuous sneer as his light eyes raked over Cristiano.

"Come to save the damsel?" He hissed. "Sorry mate, the damsel in this story died before you can save her."

The boy was baiting him. Cristiano was trying hard to keep himself under control before he lost his temper and shot him so close to his beloved. With every cell in his body, he knew he wouldn't survive her death. 

"Drop the knife." Cristiano shouted.

Humphrey with a wild crazed glint in his eyes didn't follow orders. Instead, he pivoted to face him and sprang like a leaping cheetah. At that same moment, Cristiano crouched, his face darkening ready for the force of Humphrey's attack.

He still couldn't shoot. It was still too risky if he missed the target while Jasmine laid unconscious on the floor behind the boy. He was determined to keep her sheltered from the crossfire. 

"You should not have interrupted us!"  Humphrey screamed.  "Her heart is mine once I done with you.  I will slice it from her body and she will forever be mine and no one else's if its the last thing I do."

"She never was yours and she never will be!"  Cristiano roared, thrusting his gun to the floor. 

He launched himself forward and seized hold of the boy, pulling him away from Jasmine's body within seconds trying the keep her safe from the impact of their weight.  They bounced across the floor mere inches from her.  The boys fist slammed into Cristiano's cheek.  His face twisted with fury and agony as his eyes burned with renewed anger. 

Twisting his face back around, Cristiano struggled to grab the frenzied boy who dodged back to retrieve his knife.  Cristiano grabbed him by the neck and with incredible strength, lifted him like a rag doll he shook him viciously.  His fingers lashed out, the boys suffering making him reckless, striking recklessly and connecting to Cristiano's chin.