A5

[

[...]

MORE PEOPLE piled into the room. They wore green one-piece suits that somewhat seemed loose-fitting. The suits all had WICKED written across the chest.

Thomas assumed they were doctors. Each one took place next to one of the beds. The strangers fidgeted with the masks that hung from the ceiling, adjusting the tinkers and tinkering with knobs and switches that Thomas was unable to see.

Rat-Man looked down at the papers on a clipboard he'd brought back with him after leaving to fetch the strangers. He informed them that he had already assigned the group to a bed. He rattled off a few names - Thomas heard a couple such as Sonya and Aris but he didn't catch any of the Gladers.

"If I didn't call your name, please follow me," Rat-Man said. Thomas and the others followed him out of the room and down another long hallway before pausing at another door. Rat-Man read names off again, this time including Newt and Frypan.

"I'm not doing it," Newt stated. "You said we could choose and that's my bloody decision."

The blond exchanged an angry look with Thomas that appeared to say that they better do something soon or he'd go insane.

"What about you, Fry?" Thomas asked, silently praying that Frypan would be on their side. The cook suddenly looked sheepish.

"I... think I'm going to let them do it," he admitted. Thomas was shocked. Frypan shook his head a little. "I want to remember. Make your own choice - let me make mine."

Frypan disappeared into the room in such a hurry; probably to avoid more arguments. Rat-Man continued on, he didn't call for Minho, Teresa and Thomas until the final door. Other than them, Harriet and two more girls from Group B was with them. Newt was the only person so far to reject the procedure.

Rat-Man gestured for them to enter the room. Minho rejected. Thomas did too. He felt the rush of anticipation, they had to take the chance soon - try something. Rat-Man stared at Thomas for an uncomfortably long time.

"You okay there, Rat-Man?" Minho snorted.

"My name is Assistant Director Janson," he replied, his voice low and strained. It was pretty evident that he had trouble keeping his patience. But his beady eyes never left Thomas. "Learn to respect your elders."

"You quit treating people like animals then maybe I'll consider it," Minho talked back. "Why are you goggling at Thomas? I get that the shank is handsome but really?"

Rat-Man - or Janson - finally turned his gaze to the ex-Runner. "Because there are many things to consider. But very well, we said you could choose for yourselves and we'll stand by that. Everyone come inside, and we'll get things started with those willing to participate."