A15

[

[...]

AMELIA TOSSED a packet of chips to Newt, who muttered a 'thank you'. She sat on the couch across from him. Newt opened it, slowly chewing on the food.

"What?" the blond questioned upon realising Amelia was observing him. She shook her head slightly, waving it off. Newt raised a brow.

The pair ate their snacks in silence. Neither Newt nor Amelia was good in small talk. Amelia's eyes constantly returned to Newt. Over the days of being trapped inside the Berg, his state of being had become worse. From only having a few darkened veins on his forearms to having darkened veins on arms, legs and neck. The Flare was taking over physically quickly but mentally, it was gradual and a pain to the ass.

Before departing with the duo, Brenda had given Newt a box. That box contained four syringes. According to the handwritten set of instructions in it, the liquid inside was created by WICKED to suppress the Flare within. However, it was unsatisfying in their nemesis' eyes as it was not a full-blown cure, just something to postpone the inevitable. Amelia recognised the fluid, it was the same thing that WICKED used on her during her captivity.

Brenda managed to sneak four out, two for each Crank on the team. Amelia had only used one as she wanted to stay normal until Thomas returned. Newt, on the other hand, refused to use it at all.

"It's WICKED's poison!" he claimed when Amelia attempted to convince him to take one. She could see the bitterness that was evidently in his eyes. "I'm done with WICKED. If the bloody universe wants me to be a Crank then so be it. No point in delaying the inevitable.".

Newt was not wrong. Amelia knew that she would die soon. She wasn't in denial. All she hoped for was to spend her last moments with Thomas, not in a stinky Berg.

Amelia stowed the syringes in a place that she knew Newt wouldn't find. As much as she trusted the latter, she was afraid he would lash out and break the syringes.

"Would you stop bloody staring at me?" Newt growled at Amelia but she didn't snap out of her imagination. He had finished his snack, the empty packet was crushed in his palm. The male didn't mind her staring off into space for the first few hours of being alone with her. But the fact that it was happening more often now and it hasn't been a full week trapped in the metal transportation device was making him tilted.

"I said would you stop bloody staring at me!" he roared, standing up and throwing the empty packing into a random direction. It hit something metallic, causing the item to fall to the ground. Only when the clanking rang through their ears did Amelia snap out of her daydream. He towered over her, eyes full of irritation. She flinched.