Chapter 8

Before I knew what was happening, a gag came over my mouth. I struggled, but the Joker was much stronger, and I was in handcuffs. I can't believe I was stupid enough to fall for this.

The Joker picked me up bridal style and walked casually towards the building. He knocked loudly on the door. There was no response.

"Come on out, Bats!" the Joker yelled. "I've got a surprise for you!"

For another moment, there was silence. Then, we saw Batman open the door.

"Let her go," Batman said firmly.

"Come with me and I will," the Joker responded with an evil laugh. He tossed Batman a pair of handcuffs.

"Put those on," the Joker said, "and I'll let her go."

I rapidly shook my head, begging him with my eyes not to do it. I wasn't worth it. He was a superhero, a crime fighter, and I was a little girl from Florida.

Then again, I'm "special."

"Make your decision," the Joker prodded impatiently. "If you don't..." He pulled out a knife and held it to my throat with a sadistic smile.

"You're disgusting," Batman said, crossing his arms. "Still, I don't let innocent people die."

I gasped through my gag and rapidly shook my head as tears fell down my cheeks. It was my fault. The Joker would kill Batman, and it was all because of me.

Batman stepped closer to the Joker. Quickly, the Joker moved the tip of his knife closer to my throat.

"Don't come any closer," he said with a grin, "or you'll be sweeping her blood off the floor."

Batman stepped back, as if obeying the Joker. But I knew he was smarter than that. He couldn't possibly give himself up for me... could he? I hoped he wouldn't.

Batman stepped further back.

"Allison," he said. "Find Robin. Stay with him. Whatever you do, don't come after me."

I screamed through my gag with all of my lung power, but no sounds came out. I felt helpless, and I hated every second of it. The tears kept falling, and I kept shaking my head, but Batman didn't care.

Instead of listening to me, he opened the handcuffs and put them on.

"Tighten them, Bat," the Joker ordered, still grinning widely.

Batman glared at the Joker but did what he asked. I wish he hadn't.

I knew what would happen with Batman gone. Everybody like the Joker would destroy Gotham City, and everybody living there would be killed. Then, they would start taking over the other New York cities, and when they'd done that, they'd take over the United States, until eventually, they'd control the world.

Maybe I was over-exaggerating, but this would all be my fault.

I was so deep in thought that it startled me when my handcuffs were removed and my gag was taken away. The Joker took his knife away from my throat, all in one swift movement. I ran forward towards Batman and wrapped my arms around him.

"Why would you do this?" I whispered as I embraced him.

"Hand me that cane," Batman replied even quieter than I had whispered. My eyes widened as I realized his plan. I looked over at the Joker in fear, but I decided to put that aside for now.

Without thinking, I ran forward and grabbed the cane. I handed it to Batman before the Joker could react.

"WATCH OUT!" Batman shouted as the Joker threw his knife at me. My reactions weren't fast enough, and with a cry of pain, the knife hit my shoulder.

"Shit!" Batman yelled before punching the Joker in the face. "He's disarmed! Are you badly hurt?"

I sank to the ground as my right arm fell limp. "Yes, obviously! It's a knife in my shoulder."

"Catch this," Batman said quickly before tossing me a cell phone. I caught it, much to my surprise.

"The password is 6042," Batman told me. I typed it in as he spoke. "Call Robin, and then call 911. Tell them you're hurt, but not how it happened."

"What? Why not?" I asked, confused.

"No time. Just call!" Batman yelled as he finally knocked the Joker unconscious. "Hurry up!"

I quickly called Robin from the contacts. The phone rang before he picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Robin, it's me!" I yelled. "I'm hurt... I was captured, but Batman's here now... please come."

"Allison?" Robin gasped. "Oh God, what happened?"

"I'm sorry, I can't talk... I'm calling 911..."

"Don't," Robin said quickly. "I'll bring a friend with me. He can fix you up."

I looked at Batman, who could hear the entire conversation.

"That's fine," Batman said. "It's probably best not to get the police involved."

"Where are you?" Robin asked. "I'm on my way to my friend's apartment right now."

"I... I don't know..." I said. Batman grabbed the phone from me and told Robin where we were.

"I'll be right there. Don't hang up," Robin said. "Allison, what happened? Why aren't you on the airplane right now?"

"Security pulled me aside," I replied. "They arrested me, and one guy took me into his police car. Turns out it was the Joker."

"Oh my God, why won't he just leave you alone?" Robin exclaimed.

"Anyway, he took me to this building where Batman was and made him handcuff himself to save me," I continued. "But Batman fought back, and the Joker hit me in the shoulder with his knife."

"Holy rusty metal," Robin breathed. "Are you okay?"

"I don't know," I replied with a sigh. "It really hurts... I've been trying to ignore it, been trying to stay strong, but I..." I stopped talking as I laid down on the ground.

"Stay with me," Batman said. "Robin, hurry. She's almost unconscious."

I heard Robin panicking on the other end of the line, but I couldn't make out the words. From the corner of my blurred vision, I saw the Joker get up and sneak behind Batman.

"Watch out," I managed to say with my remaining strength. I kicked Batman away from the Joker before my vision went black.