Chapter 9

I woke up to the sound of a scream. My own.

All the memories suddenly came rushing back in one powerful moment. Pain rushed through my shoulder, and fear ran through my veins when I realized I was being held down.

"LET GO OF ME!" I screamed, struggling to get free.

"Allison, it's me!" Robin exclaimed. My eyes shot over to him, and I gasped. I sighed in relief. I thought the Joker'd captured me again.

"Oh God, it hurts..." I groaned as I looked at my shoulder. I realized the knife had been removed.

"I know, just hold out for a few more minutes," Robin replied.

An unfamiliar face looked down at me from above. "Hey. I'm Brad," he said. "Robin's friend, and a paramedic."

"Hi..." I said uncertainly. "Where's Batman? Please don't tell me the Joker got him..."

"I'm here," Batman said from behind me.

I quickly turned my head. "Thank God. Where's the Joker?"

"He's in Arkham Asylum," Robin responded with a smile. "We won't be seeing him for a while."

I turned back to Robin and grinned. He made eye contact with Batman before smiling down at me.

"Allison, your shoulder's dislocated," Brad told me with a sigh.

"Are you serious?" I said with a sigh. "What do we do?"

"I'll have to pop it back into place," Brad replied as I rapidly shook my head. "It might hurt, but..."

"You have to get permission," I argued, "or else you're treating me against my will."

"You're underage, so I have to ask Batman," Brad said as his head turned towards the caped crusader. Batman nodded.

"You know, I was treating this one guy once, and he had a dislocated knee. He was panicking about getting it put back in place, just like you," Brad told me. He took ahold of my arm. "I had to get at least three people to hold him down. Then, BAM!"

As he said the word "BAM," he yanked my arm to relocate my shoulder. I screamed out in pain, and Robin held me in his strong arms as tears flowed from my dark brown eyes.

"I just popped it back in," Brad told me. "That story always works."

"Is it a true story?" I questioned.

Brad laughed. "No. Can you stand?"

Robin quickly offered me a hand. I took it and stood up. I was a little shaky, but I was mainly fine.

"Thank you, Brad," I said with a smile. He smiled back and nodded, with Robin still holding my hand.

"So... what now?" Robin asked.

"Now," Batman replied, "we take Allison home."

"W-Wait..." I said shakily. "I... I'm not sure if I want to go."

"You have to," Robin said as he stared into my eyes. "Your parents must be worried sick."

"Well, yeah," I said with a sigh. "Robin, I... I'm so sorry. I'm sorry that you and Batman always have to fight."

"Hey," Robin said with a grin. "It's what we do. We choose to do it."

"You really are a hero," I whispered with a smile.

"Um, we'll give you two some... privacy..." Brad said awkwardly. He and Batman walked out of the room.

"Allison... I love you," Robin told me as he looked into my eyes. "I'm going to miss you like crazy when you're gone... I don't know what I'll do without you."

"Me too," I whispered as he brushed my dirty blonde hair out of my face. "But I guess we have to move on."

"No, you don't understand," Robin said as he stepped back. "I can't move on. You're the one I want... please don't break up with me..."

"We... we're dating?" I was speechless. I'd never been with a guy in my life, and now here he was, opening his heart to me.

Robin chuckled as he took my hands. "I thought it was obvious."

"I'm not breaking up with you," I responded. "It's just... long-distance relationships never work out."

"We'll make it work," Robin replied. He stared into my eyes. "I know we will."

"What are you waiting for?" I whispered as I stroked his cheek and pulled his neck in closer.

Robin didn't respond. He simply pressed his lips to mine. I passionately kissed him back.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Allison," Robin sighed as he breathed in my ear.

I grabbed his hands. "Me too, but we'll see each other again soon."

Robin gently moved his hands to my waist and kissed my neck.

I giggled. "Hey, that tickles."

Robin smiled. "My bad." He moved his lips back to mine.

"Is that better?" he whispered in between kisses.

"If you're here with me," I replied before kissing him again, "it's all good."

Robin smiled as he pulled away. "Just good?"

"Better if you kiss me again," I said with a grin. Robin gladly obliged and pressed his lips to mine once again.