Chapter 17

AT THE MANSION

"Mom! I'm home!" I shouted. Batman and Robin walked to their rooms. We'd dropped Brad off at his house.

"Where the... heck... have you been?" Mom yelled as she ran towards me. She gasped. "Oh my God, what happened to your face? You'd better start talking right now, young lady!"

"Mom, I... I'm sorry," I apologized. "I'm sorry for lying to you."

"What do you mean?" Mom asked as she put her hands on her hips.

"The Joker escaped," I blurted out. Mom's eyes widened. Her breathing rapidly increased. She glared at me.

"Did... did you know before we came here?" Mom questioned.

I nodded. "Yes, and I... I'm so sorry. I just wanted to see Robin again and I..."

"Listen to me," Mom snapped. "If you lie to me again, you're grounded for the rest of your life." She pulled me into a hug. "I mean it, Allison."

"I promise it won't happen again," I assured her. She hugged me tighter, and I started telling her about the Riddler.

"You were seriously about to kiss some random guy in a Starbucks?" Mom looked angry but worried.

"I... Ugh. I'm sorry," I replied. Mom let go of me, and I stepped out of the hug. She grabbed my hands and looked into my eyes.

"From now until tomorrow, you aren't going anywhere in this city without an adult. And Robin isn't an adult," Mom said. "We're leaving tomorrow. It's not safe here."

"But..."

"No buts! You're my daughter. You have to stay safe!" Mom shouted.

"Fine," I agreed. "Just... let me go talk to Robin. I need to tell him something."

"Okay. Go," Mom responded. "I'm going to buy us plane tickets."

I nodded as I walked upstairs towards Robin's room. I breathed in deeply and knocked on his door. After a couple seconds, he answered and smiled when he saw me.

"Hey, Allison," he greeted me. "Come on in."

I stepped inside his room, and he shut the door behind us. I sat down on his bed with him.

"Robin, I have to tell you something..." I told him reluctantly.

"Sure, what's up?" Robin asked.

I sighed and looked down. "Um... the villains told me about my father... my real father."

"Oh," Robin said quietly.

"And... you killed him." After the words came out of my mouth, I looked up at him with pleading eyes.

"Wait, no... that's impossible," Robin argued. "I don't kill people."

"Except my father... who killed your parents after he turned evil..." I muttered, looking down again.

Robin was silent for about a minute. We sat in silence, but in each other's company. He put an arm around me after about thirty seconds.

"I... I... don't know what to say..." he stammered. "But I'm so sorry... about your dad."

"Me too," I whispered. "But I don't remember him. I... I just... I don't think my mom knows... about him being Two-Face."

"That's a problem," Robin muttered.

"Robin... I don't know what to do," I said quietly.

"Just stay here," Robin suggested as he wrapped both of his arms around me. I rested my head on his shoulder, but only for about ten seconds before I quickly got up.