Chapter II

SAM

Music: Hades from Gradius IV

"If this isn't going to help, I doubt anything will," I grumble to myself as I activate my hovercraft's video calling service. I'm about to send a video call request to an old friend of our group, a man that we call Dr. Scientist. He helped us hunt for an illuminati ghost and even travelled with us on one of our old escapades. He specializes in researching on seemingly "supernatural" events in everyday life, some of which are rumors and some that turn out to be real things. I figure that he can possibly provide some additional insight on Alexys Barnes.

The call makes its "ringing" noise three times, and then Dr. Scientist's face shows up on the screen. He smiles once he sees that it's me. "Well, if it isn't Sam!" he exclaims brightfully, putting his hands together with pleasure.

"Long time no see, Dr. Scientist," I reply, waving. "How've things been?"

"Magnificent, thanks for asking! I'm in Michigan now, examining stories about an illness some kid is dealing with right now. And let me tell you, there's some crazy theories by some crazy people out there," Dr. Scientist answers, chuckling. "And how have you and the others been?"

"Lovely. School's starting up in a week for us," I answer. "And just wait until you hear about what's happened since you left."

"That's nice. Now tell me, what's with the sudden call? I was a bit surprised to get the notification."

"Well, I've been looking into the mystery of the disappearance of this girl, Alexys Barnes. She apparently went missing from her house about ten years ago, and no trace of her exists today. I was figuring you might have something to say on the matter?" I explain.

Dr. Scientist scratches his beard for a few seconds, thinking to himself. "That's not necessarily something I usually look into... but I'll do some quick research. Just give me one second." He then types something on his keyboard, which I assume means he's just doing a Google search. He clicks with his mouse a few times, and begins nodding his head and murmuring to himself.

Finally, he speaks again. "Huh. I unfortunately could not find any clues relating to her vanishing, but I did find a possible connection here. Apparently, at around the same time she went missing, a very well-organized human trafficking center was beginning to grow and prosper."

"Human trafficking, huh? What do you say the chances of being able to track her are?"

"Close to none. They're pretty spread about. I wouldn't bother trying."

I shake my head a few times and curse under my breath, then say, "Well... thanks for your time, Dr. Scientist."

"No problem. I'll do some more research on the matter and message you back if I find anything new. Good luck in eighth grade!" With that, Dr. Scientist gives me a friendly salute, and the call goes black.

I sit back in my seat and let out another sigh. Not just because I hit another dead end here, but because I'm frustrated that I even bothered to pursue the subject further than I needed to. I mean, if we really are dealing with a professional human trafficking center here, I doubt anyone will come close to finding her today.

I decide to just let the subject drop from my mind, at least for the time being. After all, I've got better things to worry about at the moment.

Haven't written anything with Dr. Scientist in a while, so I figured this would be fun to do. He'll become the Clive Magdon of this story, so we'll be seeing him a few more times. ;)

Next chapter is going to introduce one of this story's subplots, which I think will be very fun to work with (and that's both serious and sarcastic).