Chapter XXIX

MACKENZIE

Saying goodbye to that group of people is one of the most difficult things I've ever done and probably will ever do in my entire life.

I wish I didn't have to do it.

-

One day has passed since I was taken in by my birth parents. I'm still not used to my parents calling out, "Amelia!" whenever they want me to do something for them. Plus, they've already decided to take me up to a new school tomorrow to begin the process of registering me, which I am totally not ready for.

So far, my new parents have been very supportive of me and very understanding of the way I feel. If I ever tell them that I'm texting my friends, they leave me alone and let me continue my conversation. And they bought me a laptop on the way to their house so I could use it for schoolwork and to "communicate more effectively" with my friends back home.

And yes, I say "back home" because I've already decided that I will never call this place home. Home will always be with Mia and her family. Home will always be wherever Sean, Shanna, Avery, Sam, Elle, Heath, Luke, and Skylar are. Home will always be where I went on crazy adventures and nearly got myself killed on several different occasions all in the name of justice. Hell, even the hovercraft is kind of a friend to me, considering how well it shows emotions.

Music: Title from Namco Museum Vol. 3

Right now, I'm lying on my new bed in my new room, surfing through Twitter on my new laptop. Everything's just... new. New might be good to some people, but not to me. A notification pops up in the lower right hand corner of my screen. It's an email from Sam.

I open another tab, pull up my email, and click on the one unread email in my inbox. It reads:

"Hey there, Mackenzie (or Amelia. Whatever you want us to call you now lol)! Hope the transition has been going well for you! Remember that we're always rooting for you, and we wish you the best of luck with your new life and at your new school. Don't let anybody talk you down. We all miss you and can't wait to hear from you. Sam, Elle, Mia, Sean, Shanna, Heath, Luke, Skylar, and Avery."

I seriously doubt all nine of them were in the same room when Sam typed me that email, but the fact that Sam included all of their names anyways is touching to me. I hit "Reply" and start typing away.

"Hey guys! I miss you all so much too! Everything just feels so new and different around here. And I still haven't gotten used to the name change, ha ha. I begin registration tomorrow, and honestly, I'm extremely nervous. I don't know how I'll fair without you guys by my side. I promise I'll contact you and hang out with you as much as I can. Sincerely, Mackenzie."

After making the finishing touches to my message, I click "Send". As the message pops into the email thread, I pull out my phone. I don't plan on texting it or using it for anything, I just want to look at my screensaver. It's a picture of all ten of us when we threw a surprise birthday for Mia over the previous summer. I picked that one specifically because it was the best photo of all ten of us looking happy that I could find saved in my gallery. Looking at the image causes that lump to form in my throat and my stomach to droop low.

And, of course, my new mom chooses that moment to walk into my room and tell me, "Amelia, you best be getting ready for bed. You've got a long day ahead of you tomorrow." For the record, it's 11:45 PM.

Music: The Suggestion from Nemesis 3 MSX

I don't know what exactly causes it. Maybe it's the stress of having to switch to another school. Maybe it's the ache in my heart from missing everybody so much. But I do know that what my new mom said triggers it. I start sniffling, first slowly, and then rapidly, like a rapid fire machine gun. Tears start flooding my eyes. I try to open my mouth to speak, but all that comes out is a choke.