Chapter XXVIII

ONE WEEK LATER...

SHANNA

The week following the events of our past adventure has been filled with anxiety and uncertainty. Our rescues and whatnot gave us decent media attention for about two days, and then things started dying down, just like they usually do with our escapades. Which, for teenagers in middle school just trying to live normal lives, is pleasing.

So, if that's the case, why are we all so worried these days?

This weekend is when it's determined if Mackenzie will have to leave us and go away with her birth parents. According to Mia's parents, Mackenzie's birth parents live all the way over in Kansas City, which isn't too far where we live, but Mackenzie will still have to change schools (and, of course, her name) and adjust to a new life once again.

And today, Saturday, August 23rd, 2015, is the day we find out.

-

Music: Family from Super Mario Galaxy

Sean and I walk up to Mia and Mackenzie, who have just been standing outside of their front door silently for minutes now. Their parents and Mackenzie's birth parents are inside discussing what the future will look like for Mackenzie. A suitcase rests on either side of Mackenzie, with another bag wrapped around her shoulder. I'm on the verge of tears right now.

Mia finally speaks up for the first time in several minutes. "Well... I guess this is goodbye, Mackenzie."

Mackenzie turns to look at Mia, and tells her, "Mia. There will never be a goodbye. Remember that." The two girls wrap each other in a hug, and don't let go until I tap Mackenzie on the shoulder.

"I don't want you to go," I whine, sniffling and wiping away tears. Mackenzie pulls me into a bear hug as well.

"I don't want to go either, Shanna. But I have to," Mackenzie replies softly, stroking my hair and rubbing my back. She's been relatively stable all morning, but that's likely to change soon.

Sean doesn't say anything, but his somber face pretty much speaks for itself.

Heath and Luke walk over to Mackenzie right then. "Hey, Mackenzie, have fun with your new life," Heath says, extending an arm out to Mackenzie. The two exchange a sideways hug.

"Yeah, just not too much fun," Luke adds, chuckling. Mackenzie snickers and gives him a sideways hug as well. Both guys seem relaxed, although their trailing off voices and difficulty in keeping their smiles looking realistic says otherwise.

"Thanks, you two," Mackenzie says, walking forward with her stuff. She walks by Elle, Skylar, and Avery along the way, who all have something to say to her. Sam's just kinda standing at the front of the driveway this entire time.

Elle: "Please take care of yourself, Mackenzie."
Skylar: "Yeah, you've been an amazing friend."

Avery: "You are beautiful, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise."

Mackenzie walks onto the driveway, looks back at everyone, and simply says, "I'm going to miss you all so much."

At that moment, Mackenzie's birth parents walk out of the front door and over to their van. "Come on, Amelia," her mother says. I will never, EVER get used to hearing that name in reference to Mackenzie.

"I promise I will visit you guys every chance I get," Mackenzie tells us as she walks toward the van.

"We'll be right here waiting for you," Sam replies, smiling at Mackenzie.

Mackenzie gives Sam a decent smile in return, and then turns around, loads her luggage into the trunk of the van, and climbs into the backseat of the van. Before the van drives away, she turns back around to face us one more time. The nine of us gather into one big cluster and start waving goodbye to Mackenzie. Some of us have reassuring smiles, others (myself included) have tearstreaked faces. Sam and Elle hold hands with each other, and Mia places a hand on my shoulder.

Mackenzie waves back, and continues to wave until the van vanishes past the horizon. Nobody smiles from that point onward.

Just like that, Mackenzie is gone.

1 POV chapter that triggers feels ftw

dw, this resolves itself quickly in the next chapter. Mackenzie won't be gone for that long lmao