Chapter 21: By convention

In order to find a cure, Drez needed a few more components. Luckily, there was a science convention beginning nearby that he had been meaning to attend. He had been working on a project in his spare time and was planning to unveil it for the inventor's contest at the convention.

The convention hall was large and smelled of popcorn and oil, not the greatest of combinations. Many booths lined the large arena like corridor walls, each lane bustling with a hundred people. People from all walks of life were here, young scientists, modern inventors and older theorists were scuttling around to make the most of their day. Scientists presented shows on their latest works and budding engineers poked and prodded with a thousand questions and queries. Inventors gathered backstage where they were allowed last second adjustments before their presentations.

Chico rushed around oo-ing and ah-ing at the colourful displays. Each one was more interesting than the last, an odd mentality since she wrapped the whole area twice. Paz, meanwhile, managed to recognise the odd term she heard from Drez in the past but could swear some words here had at least 16 syllables. She understood how most of it worked but was more interested in the uses of these machines rather than why it did what it did, stumping a few for a moment who hadn't considered practicality.

Drez dragged his creation backstage to make a couple of final checks. Upon placing down the handle of the wagon, he spotted a face he didn't think would be here.

"This event is for scientists and inventors, not wannabe doctors, Andre." Drez addressed his enemy.

"Well, 'Child-I-don't-know-the-name-of', I happen to be an accomplished scientist. I have a PhD." He retorted, turning around and crossing his arms

"It's Drez, for your information, and I've checked your systems, you gave yourself that PhD."

"Yet, Dylan..."

"Drez."

"...Dingo, you walk in here with a mechanical happy meal. At least show some glamour in your work."

"Is that what Melody said before she left you?" Drez snapped with a wry grin.

Andre turned, seething with rage, "You.. That doesn't make any... I went through 6 tubs of ice cream that week!" He shouted, "I will one-up you for that today! Mark my words, Dixie!" He stormed away.

"It's Drez!"

"Dolan!" Came the reply.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally came the moment everyone had been waiting for, the invention showcase. Creators took one-by-one to the stage each showing impressive inventions and showcasing their applicability. Gasps and awe filled the crowd as each one was revealed. A stifled laughter fell over the arena as one fell apart as the presentation began.

"Contestant 6!" A judge called.

Andre wandered on stage with his invention, cloaked in a sheet like all the others.

"Ladies and gentlemen," He bowed slowly with pride, "I present to you a creation, the likes of which you have never seen before!"

He pulled back the sheet to reveal what appeared to be a small vacuum cleaner. It was painted gold but didn't shine. The body had a clear capsule with an airtight, removable bottom. The hose, also gold, ended with what something akin to a speaker. He strapped it to his back and held the 'nozzle' in his hand.

"This device allows the user control of whatever substance is placed inside the canister. Simply place inside, activate and it shall be at your command."

He removed the contraption and placed what can only be described as a literal lightning rod inside the capsule. He then pulled the trigger and waved it around. Sparks of electricity followed his movement like an entranced snake. He turned it off and proceeded to bow.