Goodbye

River's POV

I let out a deep sigh as I zip up my last suitcase. I survey my now empty room for the last time.

Taking my suit case off the bed for the last time, I spot my photo frame on my dresser. I walk over and gently brush the frame.

My Mother looked so beautiful in the picture. The way she smiled up at Dad, her white dress fitting her frame to perfection, the wind blowing in her hair.

As I look at the picture, I felt tears sting my eyes. Never had I seen my parents like this.

I don't want to leave home.

I don't want to give up my Alpha title. I don't want to leave Mom—who was buried in the back yard.

I don't want to loose everything I have.

What would Mom say if she saw us now?

She would be so disappointed.

I want to blame my Father for the loss of the war against the Blue Oak Pack, but I can't help but feel the fault was mine.

I knew he was still weak from losing Mom when she gave birth to me.

I had known he would make foolish mistakes and lead our warriors into unsuccessful assaults, but I didn't fight hard enough against him.

I didn't push enough. I didn't sacrifice enough.

Maybe it is because I am not enough.

Maybe Dad was right when he said he should have had a son. Maybe if he had, we wouldn't of lost the pack. Maybe then, Mom would be alive.

I fell tears roll down my checks and I quickly wiped them away, swallowing the lump in my throat.

Weak people cry and I am not weak, I can't be. Even if my Dad still holds the Alpha title, my pack looked to me for strength. I have to be strong for them.

I stare down at the photo and kiss it goodbye. I have to let her go one last time.

My pack had to suffer because I was too weak to fight for them against my own father, but I am not going to be weak anymore.

I am leaving behind the things which hurt me. Ridding myself of my weaknesses. True Alphas don't have weaknesses, they are cold and hard.

True alphas don't morn the Mothers they never knew.

Setting down the frame, I glance around my room for the last time, my face a void of emotion.

No one will ever see me weak again. I am done being vulnerable and frail.

I pick up my suitcase and carry it down the stairs. Pack members bustle around, frantically trying to pack the belongings they want to take with them to the Blue Oak Pack.

"River!" I turn to see my my father across the living room. He is sitting at his desk in a suit, shoving file after file in a brief case.

"Yes, Alpha." I reply, bowing my head in respect to him.

I may be his daughter by I am not Alpha yet—not that I ever will be now.