twenty-five

corbyn's pov

three hours. three hours of my life have been taken. three hours spent holding the girl i have a crush on, comforting her after she's broken up with her, now, ex-boyfriend; one of my closest friends. jack. But at this point in time, i don't care if he's a friend or not. he hurt my best friend.

she had finally fallen asleep, after spending three dreadful hours crying, and asking herself why she wasn't good enough.  I leave the room carefully and quietly, considering the fact that she had her arms wrapped around my body.

It was currently midnight, and i heard a sound coming from downstairs. i go to check what it is, and i see jack sitting on the bench outside. i quietly walk to the door and carefully slide it open, trying not to wake anyone.

he turns around, sees me, and turns back the right way. i walk around the other side of the bench and sit next to him.

"don't say anything. please." he says quietly.

"i just don't get it, jack." i say facing him, ignoring his request.

"don't get what?" he asks, stupidly.

"i don't get how you could ever hurt her. i don't get how you thought it was okay to cheat on her. i don't get how you thought it'd be okay to break her trust like that. i get that you're one of my best friends jack, but so is she, and in this situation, you're in the wrong." i say all in one breath.

"look, i don't know. all i know is that i don't think i ever got over my crush on gabbie, and i feel terrible about it, but i cant help it." he said, plainly

"jack, are you kidding? you can't help it? you could've just broken up with her and saved her a lot of pain and tears. do you have any idea what i just spent the last three hours doing?" i said, becoming angrier by the second.

he shook his head, innocently.

"i just spent the last three hours comforting her, and telling her she was more than enough, because you made her feel like shit. you made her feel like she wasn't enough for you, or anyone else. she now thinks so low of herself because you decided to cheat on her." i rant, standing up.

"look, i don't get why you care so much. we ALL know you like her, so i thought you'd be happy that we broke up." he said standing up, while staring to walk away.

i grab his arm and pull him back

"THAT is why i care so much. because i like her, A LOT. i didn't ask for you to cheat on her and make her feel like a piece of trash, jack. she was happy, and that's all i wanted. if i never get to be in a relationship with her, that's fine as long as she's happy." i yelled, probably a little too loudly.

"yo shut the hell up, everyone will wake up." he said shushing me.

"honestly at this point i don't care. you do not deserve to be happy right now. you made her feel like trash, jack. GARBAGE. she doesn't deserve that kind of treatment." i say walking away.

"corbyn, wait." he said, in a low voice.

i turn around and wait for him to speak.

"okay look, i didn't want to make her feel that way. she was enough, but i couldn't help my feelings. i know i should've broken up with her when i realized that i never got over my feelings for gabbie. i get that i should've told her. i know i've caused her a lot of pain today; i could hear her through the door every time i walked past it in the last three hours. i will apologize and make it up to her, but i don't want you to hate me as well." he said

"if she forgives you, then i will too. so, we'll see jack. we'll see." i say walking back upstairs to lilly's room. i get back next to her and feel her wrap her arms around my body again. i get a warm feeling and i realize that i love her.

i love my best friend so much.