𝗕𝗘𝗦𝗧 𝗙𝗥𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗗𝗦》03

*tune is above. You know it

I lean on a shopping cart in the grocery store, humming a *tune I suddenly have stuck in my head.

"Hey, dad?"

"Yeah?" He tosses a box of blueberry toaster waffles in the cart. "How long are we staying this time?"

He gives me a curious look. "You know it's never an exact time. We could be gone next month, or next week. Why?"

Contemplating on telling him all I've learned today, I shrug. "No reason," I say with an exhausted sigh.

"Yeah well, starting tomorrow, I won't be home when you get there. I'll probably be back around nine."

I push the cart as we continue down the frozen food section. "What are we supposed to do while you're gone?"

"You'll think of something." He says, eyeing a woman that walks by. I roll my eyes and am about to say something when I see Greta walking down the frozen food section with a man, who I assume is her father.

I am far too tired to deal with Greta's blunt nature so I try my best to turn the cart right around.

"Dad. Dad, c'mon, let's go." He looks confused and somewhat startled.

"Don't you want some ice cream?" I pull his hand. "No really, I'm fine. Come on."

"Lorraine?" I hear an entertained snicker. "Is that you?" I turn slowly, silently cursing.

"Hey, Greta..." I say, clenching my hands on the shopping cart handle.

"Oh is this a friend of yours, Lorraine?"

My dad seems so genuinely happy I've got someone recognizing me so quickly, he doesn't seem to notice the snide way Greta observes me.

Or the off putting way her father is.

"Yeah," I say staring at Greta with her smirk. "You could say that."

"Where's Charlie?" She asks with feigned curiosity, but the subtle relief on her face shows she's just glad she can act as rude as she wants to me.

"She's at home. Busy on some homework." I say with a nonchalant shrug.

"Dad, this is Lorraine. I told you about her." She looks at her dad with a knowing glance. His eyes trail over me in a way that makes me feel scared.

"Yes, I remember." He has a small smile on his face and I hide behind my dad subtly.

His eyes turn to my father. "Hi, you must be Lorraine's father," He walks forward and extends a hand.

"Louis." My father shakes his hand.

"Norbert." My father visibly holds back a laugh, but manages out, "Nice to meet you."

"It seems our daughters know each other." He says looking at Greta and me.

I stare at the man in front of me in disbelief. "Are you kidding?" I mutter.

"It would appear so." My father says gleefully. Greta walks up to my father.

"Oh yeah, when I met Lorraine, I just knew we were going to be best friends." She looks straight into my eyes as she says this.