Useful

Torchwood. That must be what this place was. Or maybe it was the organization's name. They're all staring at me. 'Well probably because you look like a deer in headlights and you haven't said anything yet.' I thought to myself.

"Hi," I said quietly, it probably sounded more like a question. I continued, this time my voice was slightly louder. "I'm Crimson." I looked around some more. This place was amazing. And to think that it was all underground. "Who are you people?" I asked.

The man who had introduced himself a Captain Jack Harkness pointed at people as he said their names, "Owen Harper, he's our medical officer; Toshiko Sato, our technical expert; Gwen Cooper and Ianto Jones." A few wave and 'hello's' were said and then they all went back to work, except for the Harkness guy. "Let me show you around." he said. I was hesitant but followed anyway. He showed me around the base and in the end, he showed me the cells. "And this," he said as he stood me in front of one of the cells, "Is a weevil." The creature in the cell came up to the glass and I moved back slightly. "Don't worry. It can't hurt you." The Weevil continued to snarl at the glass as I moved closer.

"What is it? I mean, It's definitely not human so it must be an alien, right?"

"You're right about it not being human. Weevils are aliens that have travelled through the space-time rift, which runs through Cardiff, there are hundreds of the things living in the sewers. Occasionally, they come out and attack, that's where we come in."

"You capture these things?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes." he stated.

"Wait, but if Weevils came up and attacked people, they'd know about it, right? I mean, you cant just cover that up."

"That's our job." he said.

I still couldn't believe that any of this this was real.I closed my eyes.  "Wake up." I whispered quietly to myself, "Wake up."

Captain Jack must've heard me, because once I opened my eyes he said, "Nope. Still here."

"Great. So what are you then? Part of the government?"

"Nope. We work outside of the government."

"Okay, that's good, I think. At least I didn't accidentally infiltrate a government base. However I'm kinda wishing I had since it would've been a lot less confusing than this place."

"Government would probably have you sent to prison, or kill you." he said.

"So what are you going to do then? I've seen sci-fi shows, I know too much."

He just smiled and said, "Nothing, C'mon, let's go talk someplace else."

We ended up sitting just outside of the secret base. It was still cold out and it was getting to be very dark. After a while, Jack spoke again, "Usually, I'd retcon you and make sure you went home and forgot all about us. However, I think you might be useful in helping us find an alien we're looking for."

"How could I be helpful. You guys are the professionals."

"It always helps to have more people. And you found the base all on your own, and quite easily."

"Okay, so say that I do help you. What happens then? What about after I'm useful?"

"Well, one of three things happen; One, I do what I normally do, retcon you. Two, you end up getting killed on the job."

"Oh, well that's just wonderful. What's the third thing?"

"You proved yourself useful and you get to join us." he said with a smile, "Think about it and come back tomorrow if you accept. You know where to find us."

He got up and began to walk away. I watched him for a while before I turned to go home. Jess was probably wondering where I was. I turned on my phone and looked at the time, 10:15. 'Not that bad I guess. It could have been much  later.'

On my way home I thought about Captain Jack's offer. I definitely needed something to do around here and how could it ever be boring if I got to hunt aliens everyday? Then again, he had said that I could die doing this.

'Aww, c'mon of course I could die. But that's not different from any other day, I could be hit by a car or shot by a robber any time. Sure, aliens are not exactly a common way to go, but you don't just go hunting for aliens and expect them to be all like 'yeah sure I'll go with you'. That would be so unrealistic.' I reasoned in my head.

I would have to think about it overnight. I was almost home by now anyway. When I went inside the lights were all off. Almost every box was unpacked and put away. I felt kinda bad that I didn't help at all. I looked on the couch to make sure that Jessica didn't fall asleep there again. She wasn't there so I assumed that she was in her room. I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and my hair before I went to my room and got changed for bed. I was wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants. I knew that when I woke up, I would have to go give my answer to Jack, so I'd better start thinking about it.

A/N: Sorry it took long to update, Iv'e been busy lately. I hope you liked it though:)