Hearts Do Break Around Here

(anyone get the ed sheeran reference in the title.....?)

Maria POV

"Oi Maria."
A sharp voice interrupted my thoughts. I snapped out of my daydream and turned my head slowly away from the window and towards the stern face of Jody.
"What?" I asked sighing, running my fingers through my hair. I'd become much more dreamy since Ryan left. Far too wrapped up in my thoughts to concentrate on anything else-but at least my grades hadn't slipped too far.
"Ben wants you." she said sharply, clearly huffed she'd been pulled away from her books again to deliver me a message.
My eyebrows furrowed confused; Ben was the new boy in Ryan's room. He'd moved in a few weeks ago, his move being delayed due to urgent room repairs needed to Ryan's room. I hadn't wanted to give him a tour and hadn't spoken to him either. Therefore I was confused why he wanted to see me. I wasn't even entirely sure what he looked like. I doubted he knew who I was.
"What does he want?" I asked and she shrugged.
"I don't know," she replied walking off, "Ask him yourself."

I got up slowly and slouched upstairs towards his room. I paused outside the door remembering all the good times I used to have behind them. My hand brushed over the door handle and I slowly knocked quietly and slowly.
"Come in," a deep voice answered and i pushed the door open. It was the first time I'd been in Ryan's room since he left nearly two months ago. It was completely repainted and covered in new posters of football and hockey players and rock bands and the shelves had books rather than magazines piled neatly next to each other. The bed was in the same place but the covers were a simple blue and atop it sat a boy.
He stood up to greet me and I saw he was shorter than Ryan but with a far bigger build. Ryan was skinny and this one evidently had muscle, bursting modestly through his white t-shirt. He had blonde curly hair and his eyes were a bright, clear blue which shone rather than allowing you to get lost in them. A few freckles were splashed on his nose and he smiled at me showing a set of bright white teeth with a few small gaps in between.
"Hi," he said trying to smile at me, "You must be Maria?"
"That's correct," I said eyeing him up cautiously.
He nodded and there was a pause. I looked through his room and saw a poster of Fergie.
"You a fan?" I asked surprised.
"Oh!" he said blushing a little, "No I mean I just like her, not her music. I'm quite fond of gingers."
"Right..." I said quietly and he straight away noticed my hair shining red in the afternoon sun.
"Ah-I mean, your hair's nice..." he tailed off a little and I waved my hand, "It's fine."
"Sorry about this," he said gesturing the meeting, "I just feel like I haven't met you at all. I know everyone else."
"Sorry," I said uncomfortably shuffling my feet, "I'm not a very chatty person."
His eyebrows furrowed, "Really? The guys here said you're like the most social one of them all."
"I used to be I guess," I mumbled. This conversation was becoming more awkward for me but yet he continued, his face glowing. Everything about this guy was so bright, it hurt to look at him.
"Um look Maria," he said running his hand through his curls, clearly feeling the tone of the conversation. Finally.
"I hear this was Ryan's room," he said and I finally looked up to see him properly, "And I heard he was your boyfriend-"
"No he wasn't." I interrupted, "He really wasn't."
"Right, well whatever he was I heard you were very fond of him," he continued, "And I don't want you to think I'm stepping on your toes or anything...I'm literally just a guy in a room he stayed in, I'm not replacing him." He paused thinking I was going to say something but I remained silent so he continued, almost desperately, "I'm not trying to be Ryan, I certainly don't think I can and I'm not saying I should but I just want you to know I'm here if you want a chat.." he paused, seemingly to breathe, "Basically I was just hoping we could be friends."
I nodded slowly, looking him straight in the eye clearly looking like I was taking it all in. Then I slowly began to shake my head.
"Oh Ben..." I said softly, "You talk a good talk. But I'm sorry, it's not for me."
"What do you mean?" he said, evidently very confused.
"I don't think we can be friends." I said quietly, "It's just not right."
"What?" he exclaimed, "Are you serious?"
I nodded folding my arms and it looked like he was struggling to say something else.
"Well it's your choice." he shrugged, his tone suddenly very different, much deeper and a little threatening, "You'll regret it though."
"Believe me I won't," I said turning on my heel and towards the door, "It was nice to meet you Ben, I'll see you around."
"Wish I could say the same," he said opening the door for me and gesturing me to get out, "But you're heartless Maria McLowsky."
"Oh I have a heart Ben Rover," I replied walking out, "It's just very sore and broken right now and..." I paused feeling almost literal pain at speaking these words. I just shook my head, "I just have a lot to deal with right now."
"You saying there's a chance you'll be friends if it heals?" he asked.
"No," I said, "But there's always a chance."
I walked out and turned to face him smiling, "Bye Ben."
"This doesn't end here Maria," he said, "We're gonna be friends."
"Sure we are," I said walking off and disappearing into my room, "not."