Broken.

TW: There is no intention of suicide/self harm in this chapter but it is implied that the characters believe Maria to be
Mild Violence

Also I'm sorry I'm so bad at updating this, it wasn't really my intention to start it so sometimes I have to wait for inspiration-your kind comments and messages keep me going though so thank you! Xx

Maria POV

"Well that's it then!" I declared angrily, stamping the ground, "It's all over!"

I turned my back and stalked angrily back towards the road, the sharp wind grazing my cheeks. I felt Ben behind me, "Maria, come on," he said gently, "You can't stay here."

"Yes I can," I said shortly and sat myself on the grass; it was cold and damp but I wasn't about to complain. It hurt far less than the betrayal in my heart.

"Come on Maria," he begged me, "Lets go before Mike sees you."

"Too late," came a familiar voice from behind and we both whipped around sharply to face Mike. He looked tired but relieved to see me, his face white and grave, his hands in his pocket.

I didn't hesitate and leapt up without a second thought and before any of them could stop me, took off towards the road.

"Maria!" I heard a panicked Ben call, "Where are you going?"

I didn't know. But I did know I needed to get away; there was no way I was going to give myself up now. I knew exactly what would happen.

I ended up on bridge overlooking the motorway. I came to a halt, leaning on the bar to try and catch my breath. I looked across the road at the dark night, dotted with lights from cars as they flashed past, their engines roaring.

I took a deep breath, my arms spread letting the cool night air hit me in the face, reinvigorating my broken body. It was the most peaceful I'd felt in weeks.

"Maria what are you doing?!" my calm was shattered by frantic voices coming up the bridge.

I turned around to see Mike and Ben hurrying me towards me, accompanied by about half a dozen police officers, all loudly talking into walkie talkies.

Shit. They were coming to get me. There was no way I was letting them take me now. As the nearest police officer drew closer, I whipped out a pocket knife Ryan had lent me weeks ago, making him stop dead in his tracks.

"Get away from me," I said very firmly, looking at him coldly as the rest of the mob slowed into a rather worried looking crowd as they kept their distance.

"Maria..." the officer said evidently surprised, "Just...put that down. No one wants you to be hurt."

"Then leave me alone," I breathed my voice shaking, "And give Ryan back. That's what hurts the most."

The officer took a deep breath evidently not expecting this as he looked helplessly over his shoulder and began muttering into his walkie talkie. I picked up words like "risk" "section" "knife" and "back up".

"Oh you don't need bloody back up," I scoffed and he turned to look at me surprised, "I'm not a threat to anyone!"

"Maria please," a gentler voice this time, Ben stepping forward gingerly, his cheeks flushed from the running, his eyes bright with adrenaline, "Just...come with us. Come
Home."

"I don't have a home Ben," I replied tears filling my eyes again, "This is my home now."

"A young girl really doesn't belong to the streets love," piped up another officer, his voice softer, "It's  not safe."

"Ryan looked after me," I said stubbornly, "So give him back. For protection."

The first officer sighed loudly, looking like he was taking a step closer so I wielded around pointing the knife at him so he stumbled back accordingly clearly surprised.

"Don't." I warned him, "Don't anyone touch me."

He looked at me half concerned/half annoyed then looked meaningfully at Mike who stepped forward for the first time. This was the first time in a very long time we'd spoken properly. I'd grown up with Mike. He was practically my dad. But he wasn't who I needed right now.

"Maria we've all been so worried," he began his voice soft, kneeling down to my level, "Come home and let me look after you. I can get you some help. Make you feel better."

"Oh I know a cure," I interrupted stubbornly, "But you moved him away from me a year ago."

He sighed and I swore I saw his eyes glaze over slightly but I refused to look so turned my attention back to Ben who was trying again.

"Come on," he pleaded, "I know I haven't known you long, certainly not the 'real' you, but I'd like to. She'll come back in time. She just needs some time to recuperate. And we can help you do that..."

For the first time I hesitated. Ben's words hit somewhere I hadn't explored in a while. He was right. He'd never met the old Maria. Only the pining, broken, and now pregnant, one. I did want her back. But I wanted Ryan more. But I wanted him properly. Where we were allowed to see each other.

Suddenly out of nowhere the first officer, who was taking advantage of my apparent reflection, grabbed me hard around the waist pinning me to the floor harshly, holding my head down.

I screamed loudly, flailing at being pinned down like this but the only thing I could shout was Ryan's name.

I vaguely heard scuffles break out but the officer was gripping me right breathing loudly; I could hear Mike and Ben's  protests at me being held like this,

"Stop it!" I heard Mike yell, "This is not right! Let go of her!"

I tried to yell again but he had his hand over my mouth preventing much sound coming out. Before I could clamp my teeth into his hand, something disturbed him as his grip lessened instantly and the crowd fell quiet.

I felt the knife being pulled out of my hand as someone aimed it at the officer, "Get away from her," I heard a very familiar voice as the figure of Ryan pulled him off and lay over me, protecting me from any further harm.

"Step back," he ordered, "She just needs some time..."

He finally looked down at me, those brown eyes looking down at me filled with concern. He brushed the hair out of my face, "You've got yourself in some trouble huh?"

"You came..." I whispered too overwhelmed to say much more as I vaguely heard the crowd take a few steps closer, but were evidently hooked at my new found calm.

"Course I did," he smiled a little, "I heard your screams. Even the back of a police car wasn't going to stop me."

"Oh Ryan..." I threw my arms around his neck, burying my face into his shoulders. And as I felt the officers finally close in, had no intention of ever letting go.